BULLOCK: Deciphering a hostile coaching job market

The recent, and in my opinion, undeserved firing of a record seventh NBA coach this season — Memphis Grizzlies head man Marc Iavaroni — got me thinking…what are the best and worst jobs in sports?

If I were ever asked to coach the Oakland Raiders, I would turn and run. Why a person would ever want to work for Al Davis is beyond my comprehension.

For my money, Nate McMillan, coach of the Portland Trailblazers, has one of the best jobs in sports. He has an aggressive general manager, an owner sitting on more money than he knows what to do with and a fan base that will love any team that walks on the court as long as it doesn't conjure up memories of the infamous "Jail Blazers."

I have also come to this conclusion: Marquette men's basketball coach Buzz Williams has got it pretty good — and the man knows it.

When asked at a press conference before the start of the season how he felt about going up against coaches such as Jim Boeheim, Jim Calhoun and Rick Pitino he said this: "I'm unbelievably humbled, extremely grateful. I don't think that there is anything that I have done in my short career that stacks up to those coaches. How do I compare? The answer is I don't compare to those guys."

The reason why I would want Williams' job is two-fold.

First of all, anyone who would have taken the Marquette job last spring would have been immediately embraced by the Marquette community, simply because they were not Tom Crean.

Few people on campus can even speak Crean's name without a scowl forming across their face. Try smiling while saying his name. Go on, try it. I'll wait. You can't do it, can you?

Buzz might think it was his southern charm that won us over, but in reality it is the fact that there is zero chance we will ever see him walk out of the tanning salon connected to the Maytag laundry mat.

Second, he inherited a top-25 team that lost almost no players from the previous year. Some might look at that as a drawback, arguing that there are high expectations to go with such an experienced squad. I say nay.

You, the fan, might expect more than a second-round loss out of the 2008-'09 Golden Eagles, but I think it is fair to say that the Marquette athletic department is more than happy just to make the tournament each season.

Marquette is not Duke or North Carolina. National Championships are dreamt of, not expected, in Milwaukee.

Crean lasted nine seasons by finding diamond-in-the-rough recruits that were solid college players but not talented enough to bolt for the pros after their freshman season. Why should expectations be any higher for Williams? If anything, they may be more tempered.

Williams is known for his preparation and far-reaching recruiting circles. Those things take time to show their worth. Would you fault him if Marquette fell in the first round of this season's tournament instead of making it back to the second? I wouldn't. This is the biggest job the man has ever had.

Meanwhile, he gets to coach a team that can practically coach itself. The three best players on the Golden Eagles roster have played together for three years, and the fourth best player has been there for two of them.

On top of that, William's recruiting aptitude (in case you forgot, Marquette has a consensus top-25 recruiting class coming in next season) will all but guarantee that the team will keep finding its way into the Big Dance.

Maybe, if Williams surpasses expectations, Marquette will one day be mentioned with the likes of Duke and North Carolina. And maybe then, whoever is coaching the team will need to be reaching the Final Four. But for now, I would say Buzz's job is pretty safe, and that is a job I would like to have.

Hell, Louis Bennett has kept the Marquette men's soccer job this long.