Dean candidate lists narrow

• Candidates for deans of two Marquette colleges have withdrawn their names from consideration.
  • College of Arts & Sciences dean candidates Marietta Morrissey, a professor of sociology at the University of Toledo and Brian Blake, an associate professor and chair of the Department of Computer Science and director of graduate studies at Georgetown University, have accepted offers elsewhere.
  • Diane Michelfelder, provost and dean of the faculty at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn., has been added to the College of Arts & Sciences search list.
  • Steve Jones, a candidate for dean of the College of Communication, will remain in his current position at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

The candidate lists for deans of two of Marquette's colleges have narrowed.

Two of the three original finalists for dean of the College of Arts & Sciences have accepted offers elsewhere, said Mary Pat Pfeil, senior director of university communication.

The former candidates are Brian Blake, an associate professor and chair of the Department of Computer Science and director of graduate studies at Georgetown University, and Marietta Morrissey, a professor of sociology at the University of Toledo.

Morrissey informed the university of her decision on Jan. 16. She has accepted another job, citing family reasons for her choice, said Albert Rivero, a professor of English and chair of the search committee.

Tim Machan, a professor of English at Marquette, remains in consideration. In addition, Diane Michelfelder, provost and dean of the faculty at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn., has been added to the search list.

An open forum with Machan is scheduled for today from 3:45 to 5:15 p.m. in Alumni Memorial Union Room 227, and tomorrow from noon to 1:30 p.m. in AMU Ballroom B.

Michelfelder's open forums are scheduled for Thursday from 3:45 to 5:15 p.m. in Raynor Library Beaumier Suites B and C, and Friday from noon to 1:30 p.m. in AMU 157.

Meanwhile, Steve Jones, associate dean of Liberal Arts & Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago, has decided to withdraw his candidacy for dean of the College of Communication, said Ana Garner, an associate professor of journalism and chair of the College of Communication search committee.

"His decision to stay at the University of Illinois at Chicago was based on what was right for him at this time," Garner said in an e-mail. "We are honored that he was interested in our college and Marquette and respect his decision to remain committed" to UIC.

The remaining candidates for dean of the College of Communication are Laurence B. Alexander, associate dean of the Graduate School at the University of Florida, Lori Bergen, director of the School of Journalism & Mass Communication at Texas State University-San Marcos, Susan Schultz Huxman, director of the Elliot School of Communication at Wichita State University and Eric Rothenbuhler, professor of communication at Texas A&M University.

Alexander will be on campus this week.