New Congress more religiously diverse

• The 111th Congress is more religiously diverse than previous Congresses
  • Members of Congress are more likely to claim a religious denomination than the public
  • Congressmen don't think religion matters to voters
  • Catholics, Jews and Mormons overrepresented in Congress

With the inauguration of a new president comes a new session of Congress.

This newly elected Congress is more religiously diverse than previous Congresses and more representative of the nation, according to a report put out by the nonpartisan Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

By comparing the religious affiliations of the new Congress with the religious demography of 35,000 American adults, the Pew Forum discovered members of Congress are more likely to affiliate themselves with a religion than the public. This discrepancy leads some religious groups, such as Mormons, Jews and Catholics, to be overrepresented in Congress.

According to the Pew Forum's report, 30 percent of Congress is Catholic compared to one fourth of American adults. David Masci, a senior research fellow at the Pew Forum, said this is a change from when Catholic politicians lost their races because of their religious beliefs. The Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, is a Catholic, Masci said.

Jews make up 8.4 percent of Congress and only 1.7 percent of American adults, according to the report. Three of Wisconsin's representatives in Congress, including both Senators, are Jewish, according to the Pew Forum's U.S. Religious Landscape Survey. Less than 0.5 percent of Wisconsin's population is Jewish.

David Masci said that although the Pew Forum doesn't know why members of Congress are more likely to claim a religious affiliation, they "can say it's in someone's benefit to belong." Masci cited Pete Stark (D-Calif.) as an example. Stark is a pronounced atheist and a member of the Unitarian Church, says Masci.

Masci said Americans like leaders to be religious because the majority believe people of faith are more moral.

F. James Sensenbrenner, representative for Wisconsin's 5th Congressional District and an Anglican Catholic, said he believes that today's voters do not look at the religious affiliation of candidates. He said he thinks allowing each person to practice their religion is how the public views freedom of religion.

Tom Petri, representative for Wisconsin's 6th Congressional District and a Lutheran, said he believes people of faith are drawn toward politics because "service to others" is an important aspect to many religions including Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Despite how it may affect voters, religion is important to members of Congress. Sensenbrenner said it is inaccurate that beliefs are "checked at the door," but he doesn't impose his religious beliefs on others.

Petri said he doesn't "know (religion has) affected a particular vote." He said when he prays concerning an upcoming vote, he does not pray for his bill to be passed but that God's will be done.

Petri said his religious beliefs help "me to listen a lot because I know I don't have all the answers."

Members of Congress wishing to practice their faith are provided the opportunity to do so within their profession. Both the Senate and the House of Representatives employ a full-time chaplain to assist the workers on Capitol Hill.

The Senate chaplain's Web site said, "Throughout the years, the United States Senate has honored the historic separation of Church and State, but not the separation of God and State."

Petri said there is a weekly congressional prayer breakfast for people of different faiths as well as several Bible study groups. A prayer room in the Capitol is open to those who need prayer or quiet time, said Petri.