WBBALL Brief DO NOT POST

The Marquette women's basketball team suffered a blow when junior forward Breann Hill left the team suddenly on Dec. 12. Hill was playing her first year with the Golden Eagles after transferring from Kirkwood Community College (Iowa) following the 2008 season.

Playing a reserve role for the Golden Eagles, Hill averaged 3.0 points per game, 2.5 rebounds per game and 9.4 minutes per game in eight games this season.

She played a season-high 14 minutes and tallied six points and five rebounds in a 77-55 win against Sacred Heart on Nov. 17. She recorded a season-high eight points in the Golden Eagles' 89-58 victory at Western Michigan on Nov. 23.

Hill played high school basketball at Bishop McDevitt in Pennsylvania and was named the 2005-'06 class AAA Associated Press Pennsylvania Girls High School Player of the Year. She averaged 23.1 points and nine rebounds and recorded 2,130 points in her high school career.

Before coming to Marquette, she played a vital role in Kirkwood's back-to-back NJCAA Tournament championships in 2007 and 2008. In the 2007-'08 season she earned NJCAA First-Team All-America honors, while averaging 14.2 points and eight rebounds.

Since Hill's departure from Marquette, the team has gone 3-4 overall and 1-1 in the Big East.

Coach Terri Mitchell wished nothing but the best for Hill and respected her decision to leave the team and move on to the next step in her career.

"Bre has decided to leave Marquette and move on with her collegiate basketball career. We enjoyed her time here at Marquette and wish her the best of luck in her future," said Mitchell in a university press release.