The Gus Knorr Show – 11/8/12

Hey everyone! This is Gus Knorr, and appropriately enough, I am back on the air for the third week in a row for another episode of The Gus Knorr Show. This week, since I will only be hosting a few more episodes of The Gus Knorr Show until my anticipated graduation in December, I thought it would be fitting to have a theme where I play songs by artists who I have never played before in my three years of hosting this show. Listen in as you’ll be able to hear artists from multiple genres, mainly from the 1970s, though from other decades as well ranging from the 1950s to today. That’ll be tonight at 8:00 PM, on Marquette Radio!

• The first song on The Gus Knorr Show tonight is by Rod Stewart, who I have never played a song of as a solo artist, aside from a song by the Jeff Beck Group that I played on a episode last semester. However, this was one of the first hit singles in his solo career, “Maggie May.”
    • Next up is a song by a popular group from the 1970s, and this song is from their trademark album Rumours; it’s Fleetwood Mac with “Go Your Own Way.”
    • Another song by a 1970s rock group is next, though they were from America, and named after a large city, Chicago (though were originally called the Chicago Transit Authority.) This song is one of their best-known early singles, “25 or 6 to 4.”
    • A band from another completely different country, Sweden is next. We all remember the legendary ’70s (and by that, I mean the 970s) pop group Bjarni Herjolffson and His Rowdy Gang of Vikings, and their song, “Waterloo (Won’t Happen for Another 800 Years.)” (Yeah, that was a terrible attempt at a joke. It’s actually ABBA, with “Waterloo.”)
    • The next song is by a man who would later have a long solo career, but before that, was in a highly successful band in the early 1980s. I’m talking about Gordon Sumner, or Sting, who was with The Police, where he sang on the following song, “Every Breath You Take.” (And no, it’s not a love song.)
    • Next up is a hit single from Sting’s solo career, released in 1993; it’s “Fields of Gold.” Hopefully you can understand more than the last three words in each line!
    • Switching gears for a little bit, the next song is by The Mason Affair, a funk band from Los Angeles that recently released their first album, Eyes on Fire. The reason for me playing this song is because the next song on The Gus Knorr Show will be a song by one of the pioneering funk groups from the 1970s. This song, though, by The Mason Affair, is “All Night.”
    • That pioneering funk group is Parliament, which was one of two ’70s funk bands headed by George Clinton, along with Funkadelic. This song, one of their best known singles, is “Flash Light.”
    • Next is a song by one of the great blues guitarists from the 1980s, who unfortunately died in a plane crash at the Alpine Valley Music Theater outside of East Troy, Wisconsin, in 1990, which is a stone’s throw away from my hometown. This song, from Stevie Ray Vaughan and his band, Double Trouble’s debut album, Texas Flood, is “Pride and Joy.”
    • The next song is by another great blues guitarist, though he first released music back in the 1950s, and is still alive today. I’m talking about the legendary B.B. King, with his first hit single, “3 O’Clock Blues.”
    • Next up is a song from a successful vocal group from the 1960s that was well known for having their hits produced by Phil Spector. It’s The Righteous Brothers (who, contrary to popular belief, were not actually brothers, and did not have the last name Righteous) with “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin.'”
    • The next song is also by a vocal group from the 1960s, and was written by the then-married songwriting duo of Gerry Goffin and Carole King, similar to the previous song being written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. This was the first hit single by a girl group in America; it’s “Will You Love Me Tommorow,” by The Shirelles.
    • The Wesley Willis Song of the Week is next, and is called “The Vultures Ate My Dead *** Up,” which contrary to the title, is actually about vultures eating a dead deer.
    • A song recorded for Motown Records and written by Holland-Dozier-Holland is next on The Gus Knorr Show, and was performed by the Four Tops; it’s “Reach Out I’ll Be There.”
    • Another Motown song is next, and is arguably the best known song by The Temptations, released in late 1964. I am talking about “My Girl.”
    • The next song contains the sweet, sultry, and soulful stylings of Barry White, with his hit 1974 single, “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe.” Hope you’re not alone and/or single at the moment!
    • The final song on The Gus Knorr Show tonight is another one that falls in the “sweet love song” category, and is by Percy Sledge; it’s “When a Man Loves a Woman.”

That’s it for The Gus Knorr Show tonight, but stay tuned next week for a special Rock-a-Thon episode of The Gus Knorr Show, at a special time, on Thursday, November 15, from 4:00-6:00 PM. Be sure to go to this website, or Marquette Radio’s Facebook and Twitter’s page over the next few days to find out more about Rock-a-Thon, and how you can donate to Pablove to help to fight childhood cancer. Thanks for listening!