Bay View supplants itself as a Milwaukee hotspot

Branch out in Milwaukee, and get to Bay View and hit up the "KK" (local shorthand for Kinnickinnic Avenue) for reasonably priced yet fulfilling meals in the funky area that locals are calling the new East Side. A few restaurants are worth keeping tabs on, especially since they are helping to shatter the myth that beer and brats are the only cuisine you can find in this city. Over recent years, Bay View has undergone a renaissance, with a variety of unique small businesses and restaurants calling this neighborhood home. Bay View is south of Downtown and you can get there with a quick bus ride on Route 15.

Café LuLu, 2261-65 S. Howell Ave., is a Bay View staple. The funky café; has incredible soup, sandwiches and salads that master the complicated art of being fresh (and for the most part, good for you) yet also mind-blowingly delish. Since its expansion in 2004, LuLu has a larger dining room with a bar, high ceilings and eclectic art décor. The original section of the restaurant has a distinct 1950s feel, complete with a countertop and stools for nostalgic patrons.

The large menu makes for difficult decisions, but caters well to vegetarians and meat lovers alike. Cross your fingers that vegetable minestrone is the soup of the day. It's loaded with fresh zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli and a handful of other veggies and is a nice reminder – for college students especially – of what good homemade soup is like.

Servers know to give you time with the menu – especially the sandwich portion – which is broken down to pitas, melts, burgers or baguettes. And no two are alike, or even similar. The Florentine melt ($7.75) has melted mozzarella on pressed and crispy Vienna bread with sautéed spinach, portabella mushrooms and fresh tomatoes. For sides, you get a choice of Asian slaw or Lulu chips, the monster-size hand cut and thick sliced potato chips that are fried to order and served with bleu cheese dipping sauce. Sandwich prices range from $7 to $9 and are very reasonable for the portion sizes. There are also weekly sandwich and salad specials.

Save some room for dessert because Babe's Ice Cream, 2264 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., is across the street from Café LuLu. In a city where custard rules, ice cream has some stiff competition — but this place holds its own. Babe's scoops up Madison-based Chocolate Shoppe ice cream with flavors like Fat Elvis — banana ice cream with ripples of peanut butter and chunks of chocolate. Or there is the dark and rich Zanzibar chocolate made from three African cocoas. It also comes in a Zanzimint flavor coupled with green mint ice cream. Soy ice cream is available as well in mint chip and fruity blue moon. Sundaes are rich and made with quality ingredients — Babe's whipped cream is almost as rich as the ice cream underneath it.

It feels like you're in a restaurant out of the movies while dining at Tenuta's, 2995 S. Clement Ave., Bay View's Italian restaurant. Located on a corner in a residential part of town, Tenuta's is a rather small establishment but one of the coziest places in Milwaukee. The dim lighting, gold walls, red tablecloths, and candlelight make it the perfect setting for a classy date or a big family meal. The neighborhood atmosphere alone is worth the trip, particularly around the holidays. Classic appetizers like calamari can start your meal off on the right foot, but also check out the fried ravioli, which is delicious. Thin crust pizzas are a great option for sharing. Try the margherita — fresh basil, mozzarella and tomatoes on a crispy thin crust. It costs $12.50 for a 16 inch pie. Or try the aglio e olio pasta ($12) — the simple dish of angel hair pasted sautéed in olive oil with red pepper flakes and fresh parsley to top it off. Servings are huge — get ready for some leftovers the next day. Prices are moderate for the amount served — dates here will help you look like a spender without breaking bank.

Café Centraal, 2306 S. Kinnickinnic Ave, is a recent addition to the Bay View dining scene since it opened in September. Inspired by European cafes, this place has a great vibe with a spacious dining area and plenty of natural lighting. This is a great place for a big group. Or, grab a table by one of the large windows for some people-watching and a lazy weekend brunch complete with Alterra coffee. All the chairs that line the bar are mismatched, and black and white photos and art hang from the brick walls. Brought to us by the same folks who operate Café Hollander and Trocadero, the café serves up some familiar dishes. You can find the Napoleon Dynamite on the menu — a gargantuan brunch specialty of pancakes, smoked bacon, two fried eggs, cheddar cheese sauce, whipped cream and maple syrup. It's presentation is actually more appealing than it sounds and costs $8.95. The rosemary potatoes that come as sides for brunches are to die for — don't eat brunch here without trying them.

Some breakfast items like quiche and omelets are served all day, but there are some unique lunch and dinner choices like the roast beet and butternut squash salad that comes with goat cheese, spiced pecans and balsamic vinaigrette for $9.95. Mac and cheese gets fancy with cavatappi noodles in a goat cheese sauce infused with rosemary for $11.95. Prices range from $8 to $10 for brunch, sandwiches and salads, but entrées like the grilled salmon or stroganoff averages about $12.