Staff editorial: Voting is not enough to establish that ‘more perfect union’

We congratulate Obama on his victory.,”The marathon for the White House has finally come to an end, after months upon months of campaigning, conventions, fundraising and advertising. But we urge voters not to shelve until 2012 the issues this election highlighted.

We congratulate Obama on his victory. More importantly, we applaud American voters for going to the polls in record numbers to make this the election of a lifetime.

But when the voting booths are returned to storage, the confetti and balloons are trashed and the oath of office is sworn, this country remains at a precipice.

The United States is in a recession and our economic woes have only compounded the global economic crisis. It has become increasingly difficult for borrowers to obtain loans and mortgages. We are fighting two wars in the Middle East, and threats to our security remain. So while we've finally selected our next president, there is still much work to be done.

Marquette Tribune readers have selected the following issues as among the most important of the election. We go further to argue that these issues are some of the most important of our lifetimes. They must not be forgotten or ignored simply because the campaign season has come to a close.

Economy

Given that Obama is taking office during a recession, his administration will likely be credited with — or blamed for — whatever economic situation the country faces four years from now. During the campaign, both presidential candidates pledged to reign in spending and balance the budget. Obama will need to aggressively pursue that proposal if he wants to improve the country's financial situation.

Further, voters should carefully watch how the government's $700 billion bailout of financial institutions is handled. The financial rescue package is being put together with taxpayer dollars, and voters must not write the federal government a blank check.

We need to ensure our money is spent wisely to aid homeowners and to help banks begin lending again. That way voters — particularly students — will have access to the credit market, which will assist them in purchasing their first cars and homes and in paying off student loans.

Energy and Environment

Voters of every party and political stripe can agree that our nation's dependence on oil is troubling. We urge young voters to buy smart and consider gas mileage and fuel emissions – when they purchase vehicles. Don't forget the campaign promises to "go green." Begin introducing green practices into your daily lives in small doses and hound elected officials to fund the research and development needed to find alternative energy sources.

Saving our planet cannot be done in one fell swoop. Protecting the environment will take the concerted efforts of every American.

Iraq

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have largely been shoved from the front pages of the nation's newspapers due to economic troubles and energy woes. But the men and women in uniform who risk their lives every day should not be forgotten.Obama has promised to set a timeline for the withdrawal of troops from Iraq, in order to re-focus the war on terror where it began — in Afghanistan.

The war in Iraq is undoubtedly a hot-button issue. But regardless of voters' personal stances on the war, they should remind Obama of his campaign promises regarding the war's end.

Countless other issues face our nation, from health care to education to social issues to immigration, and none of these issues will disappear when Obama takes the oath of office on Jan. 20. For the next four years, it is up to us to hold Obama and his administration responsible for the direction in which they take our nation. We must unfailingly work toward that "more perfect union" the Constitution proclaims America should be.