VBALL brief NB1 TKO2 PC3

The team lost 3-2 to DePaul, ranked below Marquette in the Big East, Saturday in Chicago. Yet they managed to muster a 3-2 win over Notre Dame, ranked No.,”The Marquette women's volleyball team finally ended its seven-game Big East losing streak with a win against Notre Dame, in South Bend, Ind., Sunday.

The team lost 3-2 to DePaul, ranked below Marquette in the Big East, Saturday in Chicago. Yet they managed to muster a 3-2 win over Notre Dame, ranked No. 6 in the Big East.

Marquette nearly squeezed a win out of DePaul. The Golden Eagles took the first set, 25-21, but lost the next two sets, 28-30 and 24-26.

During the fourth set, Marquette tied the score at 23. With a kill by outside hitter Ashlee Fisher and a double block by Fisher and middle blocker Rabbecka Gonyo, the Golden Eagles won the match, 25-23.

During the fifth set, however, Marquette led 11-9, only to give six of the next seven points to the Blue Demons.

Nearly the same pattern occurred during the Notre Dame match. The Golden Eagles won the first set 28-26 but lost the next two 22-25 and 20-25. Unlike the DePaul game Marquette took the last two matches 25-22 and 15-12.

The game marked career-highs for several players, including freshman outside hitter Ciara Jones, who made 12 kills after recently returning from injury, and freshman middle blocker Tiara Russell, who made nine blocks.

Both Gonyo and 5-foot-8 setter Caryn Mastandrea set career-highs in blocks with nine and seven, respectively. Gonyo also registered four digs.