Marquette women’s volleyball loses to Cincinnati 3-0.

The Golden Eagles again came out slow during the first two games, a pattern that has plagued the team throughout the season.,”The Marquette women's volleyball team continued its weekend losing streak in a three set loss today against Cincinnati at the Al McGuire Center.

The Golden Eagles again came out slow during the first two games, a pattern that has plagued the team throughout the season. During the third set, Marquette started stronger, but it wasn't enough (25-15, 25-18, 25-23).

"Overall Cincinnati was a stronger team today," coach Pati Rolf said. "We needed to push them harder."

Outside hitting, defense and passing were major hindrances for the Golden Eagles. Cincinnati managed 46 kills with only 10 errors, while Marquette made 35, with 20 errors.

Rolf said the offense is not a point generating offense yet.

"We aren't doing well there. We are in trouble," Rolf said. "We pushed too hard in hitting and didn't play at the level that was necessary to beat them."

Senior outside hitter Ashlee Fisher said the hitting was not where it needed to be in the first two games, when Marquette started slow.

"The outside hitting was good in the third game but in the first game we couldn't find ways to score," Fisher said. "They were digging up everything or blocking us."

Fisher said she doesn't know why the team has a tendency to play poorly the first two games, as in the 3-0 loss against Louisville on Friday night.

"That's like what we do, we don't come out ready and we lose the first and try and come back," Fisher said. "After the second game we realize, ok, we have to win this to go on."

During the first set, the Golden Eagles began trading points with the Bearcats, but they lost quickly in the end. The teams tied up the game until 15-15, when the Cincinnati went on a 9-0 run to win the match at 15-25.

Marquette made nine kills with a hitting percentage of .051, while the Bearcats made 14, with a .263 percentage. The Golden Eagles also suffered in their blocks. They made just two blocks to the Bearcats' eight.

During the second set, Marquette trailed behind Cincinnati for the entire match. At 13-16, the Bearcats made a 5-0 run. While a kill from middle blocker Rabbecka Gonyo at 17-23 stymied the Golden Eagles, the team failed to follow through, losing 18-25.

Once again, the team came out strong after the second match, holding their own in the the third set. Outside hitter Leslie Bielski made six kills and two errors, and freshman Ciara Jones made three kills and zero errors.

The score was tied at 20-20, but Cincinnati took the lead to 22-24. Jones came in on the last two points and made a kill to bring the score to 23-25, but the Bearcats made the next point, ending the game 23-25.

Rolf said she brought Jones in to hold others accountable for their playing. She said Jones provides a new energy for the team.

"She brings a lot of joy, and just has fun," Rolf said. "We played better in this game because she was in there lighting things up."

Jones said she enjoys the pressure of the outside hitting spot.

"I was just ready whenever they put me in," Jones said. "I knew I could do something offensively."