Marquette wins Milwaukee Cup

Marquette men's soccer team won the Milwaukee Cup and recorded their third win of the season against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Wednesday night with a score line of 2-0. This was the first victory for the Golden Eagles over their cross-town rivals in five years and it was the first victory for coach Louis Bennett over his former club. Marquette had yet to win a game since September 28, when they beat Cincinnati 1-0.

"It's nice to get a win, and it was nice to put the ball into the back of the net," Bennett said. "I don't know if it was our prettiest game but we did very well to win the game."

The game was fast-paced and intense throughout, with possession being shared evenly between the two teams. However it was Wisconsin-Milwaukee who struck first in the 13th minute. Midfielder Nick Dundon shot just wide of the post after converting a volley from Marquette midfielder Matt Stummer. However it was Stummer who gave Marquette their first chance at goal minutes later after firing a shot from the top of the box right into the hands of UWM goalkeeper Ryan Germann.

With 33 minutes now past, Panther forward Adam Skalecki chipped the ball over Marquette goalkeeper Matt Pyzdrowski, from outside the box, but the ball went wide of the empty net.

The UWM supporters jeered their former manager yelling, "We hate Louie!" but ten minutes later Marquette's Callum Mallace fired in his first goal of the season from the top of the penalty box. Mallace picked up the assist from Billy Von Rueden, and sent the ball into the top corner of the net.

"When there was a guy in front of me the first thing I thought was 'shoot,'" Mallace said. "I just ripped it, and it went where I wanted it."

The Panthers had trouble finding the back of the net in the second half as well with two shots going wide; one going wide from eight yards out and the other landing into the side-netting. Pyzdrowski had a couple of amazing saves during the game including a one-handed save inside the box and another deflection to keep the clean-sheat.

"As a goalkeeper you have to stay mentally focused the entire game," Pyzdrowski said. "In the first 25 minutes of the second half we didn't see much but in the last 20 minutes we saw quite a bit."

However Marquette added on to their tally in the 78th minute after Tom Lynn shot the ball from the corner of the box, past the diving hands of Germann. Lynn's goal gave the Golden Eagles their largest lead margin since their defeat over Bryant University back on September 1.

The end of the match was clearly emotional for Bennett and his side, and many of his players were happy to see him get the win.

"It's a great feeling for everyone, and I'm sure it's a big relief for him just to get the win in a local derby, his old team, and its fun," Mallace said.

But Bennett was quick to point out that Marquette is his new home and that what is between him and UWM is purely history.

"(UWM) is not my team," Bennett said. "My team is Marquette. The ties are historical ties. My team is this team. They know that, and I know that. It brings me great pride to bring a team here that can come and win like this."