Staff editorial: Support the performing arts and charitable causes

As the saying goes, there is safety in numbers. But when it comes to raising cash for a good cause, we gladly support the Department of Performing Arts' assertion that success can be found in partnerships.

The department has reached out to student organizations for worthy causes. At some Friday night performances, the department will donate $1 of every ticket sold to a cause supported by a student organization. In exchange, the organization will mobilize its members to spread the word about the show.

The goal of "Philanthropy Friday" is to boost support for the arts at Marquette while giving back to a good cause. This is a fantastic idea. We applaud the department for its innovation and cooperation.

Every student organization on campus should jump at this idea. Not only is Philanthropy Friday a great way to publicize student organizations, but it makes a little money for their philanthropic causes in the process.

Student organizations do a wide variety of service projects and charity work. But sometimes the cost of organizing, planning transportation and publicizing a service project can be too expensive for many student organizations' budgets.

Participating in Philanthropy Friday gives student organizations an opportunity to raise funds right here on campus at little additional cost to the organization.

So far, one Philanthropy Friday has been held. The Sept. 26 performance of "Moon Over Buffalo" benefited the Marquette Chapter of Invisible Children, a non-profit organization that educates the Western world about child soldiers in Uganda. While turnout wasn't stellar, we hope subsequent Philanthrophy Friday performances are well attended.

With myriad Friday performances to come, other student groups should sign on to the project. Two Friday showings of "The Cherry Orchard" will occur in November. "The Heidi Chronicles" will also show on two Fridays in February. "The Spitfire Grill" will show twice on Fridays — once in March and once in April.

These dates leave plenty of time for preparation. Leaders of student organizations should take advantage of this partnership while openings are still available and contact the Department of Performing Arts for more information.

Students not affiliated with a campus organization can at least attend a Philanthrophy Friday show and feel good about the destination of their dollars. Student tickets cost only $8 or $10, depending on the show. Instead of throwing down that cash for a night out at the bars, take an evening to support student performances — and quality causes.