The Gus Knorr Show – 10/25/12

Hey everyone! Tonight, for the first time in three weeks I will be back on the air for another episode of The Gus Knorr Show. Tonight’s theme is going to be songs with Milwaukee street names in the title, or songs by artists that share their last name with Milwaukee street names, being the geography nerd that I am. Be sure to tune in as I explain my rationale for choosing this theme, and talk briefly about where all these streets are. Of course, as always, this will be accompanied by great music from the ’60s, ’70s, and today. Be sure to open up Google Maps on your browser so you can keep up with the locations of all these streets!

• The first one of these songs tonight that also is a Milwaukee street name is “La Grange,” by ZZ Top, which partially shares its name with Grange Ave, which starts near Mitchell International Airport on the Far South Side of Milwaukee, and runs west through the suburbs.
    • Next up is another early 1970s song named after a state that also is on the South Side of Milwaukee. You’ll probably be hearing a lot about it the next twelve days; it’s “Ohio,” by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
    • Moving right along to a song with a city in Ohio in its title, the next song has the same name as Cleveland Ave, also on Milwaukee’s South Side. Originally by Ian Hunter, formerly of Mott the Hoople, the song is possibly one of the only positive depictions of the city of Cleveland ever made, entitled “Cleveland Rocks.”
    • The next song is about a car, which in turn, took its name from America’s sixteenth president, and also is a street in Milwaukee. Named Lincoln Ave, it later lent its name to the next song on The Gus Knorr Show, the best known version of the song “Hot Rod Lincoln,” by Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen.
    • Next is a song named after a common street name in many American cities, as well as one in Milwaukee, on the city’s west side. I am talking about “Mainstreet,” also a song by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, which just happens to be the very next song on The Gus Knorr Show!
    • Switching up to a song from a new band coincidentally based out of Milwaukee, the next one is by Trapper Schoepp and the Shades, a country/folk band who just released their new album, Run Engine Run. Appropriately named after one of the main freeways in Milwaukee, it’s “I-94.”
    • Another new song is next, and has the same name as one of the many numbered streets in Milwaukee County, which run from north to south. It’s by electronic group Body Language, off their new EP Grammar, and is called “The First.”
    • Moving back to an older song, the next song is also contains a number which has a numerical street counterpart in Milwaukee. By Bob Dylan, it’s “Positively 4th Street.”
    • The next song is a new one by a successful Canadian indie pop band, and will kick off the next couple of songs on The Gus Knorr Show, which all have street names on the North Side of Milwaukee in the title. This song, from their new album, The North, is fittingly called “The North.”
    • Next is a song by a psychedelic rock band from the late 1960s, The Amboy Dukes, best known for featuring guitarist Ted Nugent. One of the words in the next song, “Journey to the Center of the Mind,” is also the name of a street on the North Side of Milwaukee, Center Street.
    • The Wesley Willis Song of the Week is next, and is Willis’ salute to a former record store that was located on Locust Street on Milwaukee’s East Side. As the store was called Atomic Records before it closed three years ago, the song, of course, is called “Atomic Records.”
    • The next few songs on The Gus Knorr Show will be by artists that have the same last name as streets in the city of Milwaukee. The first one of these is by Joni Mitchell, who shares her surname with Historic Mitchell Street on the city’s South Side. This song, one of her best known ones from her albumĀ Court and Spark, is “Help Me.”
    • Next up is a song by a musician named Don Van Vliet, who was better known for performing under the name Captain Beefheart, releasing several highly experimental and avant-garde albums. This song, the next one on The Gus Knorr Show, is from his acclaimed album Trout Mask Replica, and is titled “Ella Guru.”
    • Moving right along, the next song is by novelty musician Allan Sherman, who shares his last name with Sherman Boulevard, a street with runs north through Milwaukee’s North Side. This song is one of his best known songs, “Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah.”
    • The second to last song on The Gus Knorr Show tonight is by Johnny Nash, who has the same last name as Nash Street, which is located on the North Side of Milwaukee. This is one of his best known songs from 1972, “I Can See Clearly Now.”
    • The final song tonight on The Gus Knorr Show is by Lightnin’ Hopkins, a Texas blues musician and guitarist who released most of his material in the 1950s and 1960s. Hopkins Street, just like the last few streets mentioned on The Gus Knorr Show, is also on Milwaukee’s North Side. This song by Lightnin’ Hopkins, meanwhile, is called “Mojo Hand.”

That’s it for The Gus Knorr Show tonight, but stay tuned next week for a special episode of The Gus Knorr Show! It’ll be a special “Five Days Before Election Day” edition, where I play songs released by musicians who have ran for political office, as well as some politicians who have released music of their own. Be sure to tune in for that, but in the meantime, thanks for listening to tonight’s episode of The Gus Knorr Show!