Wisconsin Democrats host presidential candidates at annual gala

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton argued that her candidacy isn't simply about giving speeches. Meanwhile her opponent Barack Obama countered that words do matter. Both candidates presented separate addresses to party supporters in Milwaukee Saturday night.

The presidential hopefuls spoke to a crowd of 2,300 in a large hall and additional viewing room at the Wisconsin Democratic Party Founders Day Gala at the Midwest Airlines Center.

"It's not about speeches for me," said Clinton, echoing her previous suggestions that Obama is more style over substance. "It's not about the bright lights and cameras. It's about the changes we can make that can actually deliver results in people's lives."

Stating that she wants to get America back in the "solutions business," Clinton later said, "It will take more than just speeches to fulfill our dreams. It will take a lot of hard work."

After Clinton's speech, Obama tried to position himself as the Washington outsider who would bring results while in the White House.

"All of us should be in the solutions business, but all too often it ends up being business as usual," Obama said.

In response to criticism for focusing too much on rhetoric and not on solutions, Obama said policies are secondary until the country is inspired to believe again.

"The most important thing that we can do right now is to re-engage the American people in the process of government, to get them excited and interested again," Obama said.

Wisconsin Democratic Party Chairman Joe Wineke said the event was the most successful in state party history.

The two members of the state's executive branch introduced the candidates they have endorsed: Gov. Jim Doyle for Obama and Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton for Clinton.