Big East Men’s Basketball Notebook

Rutgers pulls off upset

In one of the biggest upsets in the Big East this season, Rutgers erased a seven-point first half deficit to defeat then-No. 13 Pittsburgh on the road by a score of 77-64 on Saturday. It was Rutgers' second conference victory of the season; the first came Wednesday in another upset over then-No. 18 Villanova.

There were plenty of keys to victory in Rutgers' win over Pittsburgh, but the most important may have been the decision to share the ball. Five Rutgers scorers ended the game in double figures, including the team's leading scorer, junior J.R. Inman, who is averaging 14.1 points per game.

For a team that has shot 31.4 percent from the three-point line, Rutgers showed an uncharacteristic amount of range, hitting 9-of-14 attempts from beyond the arc.

Perhaps most impressive was the fact Rutgers defeated the Panthers on the road. Before Saturday's game, Pittsburgh had not lost a game at home this season.

Despite just a 2-6 conference record and 10-11 overall record on the season, Rutgers still has a chance to make some noise in the Big East. They have three players averaging more than 10 points per game in freshman Corey Chandler, junior Anthony Farmer and Inman, and they are slated to play only one more game against a ranked opponent this season—No. 21 Marquette on Feb. 23.

Don't need Dyson

Even without the presence of leading scorer Jerome Dyson, the Connecticut Huskies still managed to defeat No. 7 Indiana in what may have been the team's most emotional win of the year.

Dyson, a sophomore who is averaging 14.3 points per game, was suspended by head coach Jim Calhoun for an unspecified violation. Along with Dyson, sophomore guard Doug Wiggins also was suspended.

Everyone chipped in for the Huskies, as five different players scored in double figures. The Huskies out-rebounded the Hoosiers 44-28.

Hoyas hang on

Patrick Ewing Jr. blocked what may have been West Virginia's game winning shot in the final seconds of Georgetown's game Saturday against West Virginia, helping the Hoyas hang on by the score of 58-57.

The loss snapped West Virginia's four-game win streak.