Milwaukee increases fines for illegal alcohol sales

• Fine for illegal tavern operation raised to $2,500
  • Ordinance results from alcohol-related problems at UWM
  • Community groups express support for legislation
  • UWM students say it unfairly targets them

It could get more expensive to throw parties in Milwaukee starting Feb. 1.

That's when the city's new alcohol ordinance goes into effect, increasing the minimum fine for illegal distribution of alcoholic beverages from $332 to $2,500. The ordinance prohibits the operation of an illegal tavern, or selling alcohol without a license.

Opponents of the legislation, including the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Student Association, say the ordinance unfairly targets college students who throw house parties, where hosts may charge an entrance fee for a plastic cup.

But Alderman Mike D'Amato, whose Third District includes UWM, said the ordinance targets anyone who is charging for alcohol at parties.

"Whether you're a student or not, if you're engaged in this activity you'll be given this fine," he said.

The ordinance, which passed the Common Council unanimously Dec. 11, had strong community support among several neighborhood organizations around UWM, D'Amato said.

With approximately 5,000 off-campus residents, UWM officials try to build communication between long-time community members and students, according to Oscar Perez, UWM neighborhood relations director. And the university makes students aware from an educational standpoint about good decision-making, he said.

UWM Student Association President Rob Grover said the ordinance does not take an educational approach.

"Overall I think it's not the best way to go in terms of dealing with the issues of alcohol in the UWM area," Grover said. "We should push for education, not punishment."

During the school year, D'Amato said he has spent "easily" 75 percent of his time in his office dealing with problems related to student drinking. On a given weekend during the fall or spring, 50 calls from constituents may come in regarding disturbances.

As UWM has grown as less of a commuter school and more of a destination, the volume of incidents has increased exponentially and in intensity, D'Amato said.

When D'Amato became alderman 12 years ago, it was rare to have student parties turn into altercations, he said. Now, there's a brawl in the street every weekend as a result of alcohol, he said.

But at Marquette, there has been little talk of the new ordinance. Alderman Bob Bauman of the Fourth District said there are more owner-occupied residents living around UWM who keep tabs of what's going on in their neighborhoods.

Bauman also said Marquette's Department of Public Safety, unlike UWM Police, patrol in off-campus areas and serve as a deterrent to out of control behavior. Public Safety helps "keep a lid on" things before they get out of hand, Bauman said.

DPS cannot issue citations, but does contact Milwaukee police when a violation occurs, said Capt. Russ Shaw, associate director of DPS. The two primary citations that are issued are for underage drinking and possessing false IDs, he said.

"If we usually spot something that appears to be out of normal, we will certainly talk to the people and say, 'Listen, you need to calm this down or disband or MPD will be contacted,' " Shaw said.

Typically, the MPD will find a lot of large parties on its own and end up citing them, Shaw said.

And if DPS is aware of a scheduled large party, "we will have an intervention with that house before it even happens," Shaw said.

At UWM, the Student Association says it is trying to inform students about the increased violation fine through their newsletter.

Tyler Kristopeit, the association's legislative affairs director, said group members were "quite shocked" when they found out about the increased fines the day after the ordinance passed the Common Council. The passage of the ordinance came as students were taking exams, he said.

The University Neighborhoods Association, of which UWM students are members, discussed the ordinance, D'Amato said.