Milwaukee selects new police chief

Edward Flynn was named successor to retiring Milwaukee Police Chief Nannette Hegerty at a Fire and Police Commission meeting Thursday night.

Flynn—currently police chief in Springfield, Mass.—will become the 18th police chief in the city's history and only the second outsider to be chosen for the job.

The commission's 5-0 vote to confirm Flynn comes after an 11-month search for a new chief in which 45 candidates applied. In recent months, five finalists were interviewed by Mayor Tom Barrett and commission members conducted extensive background checks.

Commission Chairman Leonard Sobczak said Flynn was chosen because of his broad experience and good reputation as current police chief of Springfield.

"He has been referred to as one of the best police chiefs in the country," Sobczak said.

Flynn has served as Springfield's chief since March 2006. Previously, he was the Massachusetts secretary of public safety and police chief in Arlington County, Va.

Flynn was seen as the favorite of the five finalists, which included two outsiders and three internal candidates. Capt. James Harpole, commander of Police District Three, which includes Marquette's campus, had the support of several aldermen, many in the police department and Milwaukee Police Association.

Philip Arreola, who served as chief between 1989 and 1996, was the only other outsider to become police chief.

Commission member Woody Welch called Flynn an "agent of change" who will bring his skills to Milwaukee to address the city's problems.

Welch said all five candidates were well qualified, but Flynn shouldn't have been rejected because he "can't find the broom closet" in the police department as easily as an internal candidate.

Barrett said he spoke to Flynn shortly after the commission's vote Thursday night. The mayor said he and Flynn have the same priorities—namely, to be proactive on crime.

Barrett also said he wants Flynn to be able to work with the community and garner the respect of the police department's rank and file.

Hegerty's last day is Friday and Acting Assistant Police Chief Dale Schunk will run the department until Flynn assumes his new position.

A complete report on the selection of Milwaukee's new police chief will be in Tuesday's Tribune.