Planes, trains or automobiles (or ferry)? Midwestern students can take their pick for midterm break

For Marquette students from the Midwest, there are many different ways to get home—plane, train, ferry, Megabus and Greyhound—all at varying conveniences and costs.,”Fall Break begins Thursday (or Wednesday, for the impatient) and the holidays are fast approaching.

For Marquette students from the Midwest, there are many different ways to get home — plane, train, ferry, Megabus and Greyhound — all with varying convenience and cost. Here's a look at some possible travel plans for students from the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Chicago, St. Louis and Muskegon, Mich., areas.

Minneapolis/St. Paul:

Chicago:

• Spend $42, or $35.70 with Student Advantage, for the Hiawatha Amtrak round trip. Duration one way is 1 hour, 30 minutes.
  • Take a Megabus to Union Station starting at $1. Tickets for the 6:30 a.m. bus for Wednesday were $5 for a one-way trip when paid for on Sunday, Oct. 14. Tickets for the 3 p.m. bus were $12 for a one-way trip.
  • Take a Greyhound bus for $23 round-trip with Student Advantage.

Muskegon, Mich.:

• Take the Lake-Express ferry. One way is $62. Round-trip is $99. Fares are subject to a $6.50 fuel surcharge per crossing.
  • Spend $362 fare for a round-trip flight on Midwest Airlines.
  • Take a Greyhound bus for $100.30 round-trip with Student Advantage.
  • To get to Detroit from Milwaukee, hitch a ride on a Greyhound for $64.60 round-trip.

St. Louis:

• Take a plane — $599 fare for a round-trip flight on Midwest Airlines.
  • Take a Megabus to Union Station ($12), then take another Megabus to St. Louis for $21. Total cost: $66, round-trip, unless tickets are reserved in advance.
  • Take a Greyhound bus for $96.05 with Student Advantage.
  • Take an Amtrak to Union Station ($17.35 one-way with Student Advantage), then take another train to St. Louis for $19.55 one-way with Student Advantage. Total cost round-trip: $74.80.
    • ***For Megabus: Fares vary by reservation date, day of travel and demand for seats. $1 fares are limited. Prices subject to change without notice.