Men’s soccer draws with UW-Green Bay

Head coach Louis Bennett said that the Golden Eagles, who hold a 1-2-1 record this season, had opportunities to score but just could not capitalize.,”After firing 16 shots in a 2-1 win over Xavier on Friday night, the men's soccer team could only muster six shots in 110 minutes of soccer during a double overtime 1-1 draw with the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (1-2-1) on Sunday afternoon.

Head coach Louis Bennett said that the Golden Eagles, who hold a 1-2-1 record this season, had opportunities to score but just could not capitalize.

"I think that (UW-Green Bay) had some chances, but we had some chances too," he said. "I think it was a difficult game and a difficult situation to play a team that plays very direct and very strong. I think we battled and handled some of the challenges, but on some of the others maybe we weren't as good."

Marquette forward Josh Belfrage started the scoring with his first career goal as a Golden Eagle, a header inside the near post after a centering pass from defender Tim Jallow 13 minutes into the game.

"I saw that Tim got the ball to the outside and I thought that he was going to cross it in. He did cross it in and I could see it was coming to me," Belfrage said. "I just tried to get good contact on it and it went in."

The shot was Marquette's lone attempt in the first half, and one of only three shots taken by the Golden Eagles during regulation play.

"Our interior midfield just didn't operate with success they did on Friday night," Bennett said. "It prevented us from having any real quality shots. We didn't have it."

UW-Green Bay took four shots in the first period, but couldn't score. The Phoenix started quickly in the second half, however, when Francois Basty scored from six yards out at the 49 minute mark.

Bennett said that while the Golden Eagles failed to create enough scoring opportunities for themselves, at least some of the credit should go to UW-Green Bay's style of play.

"We tried to piece together some flow in play," Bennett said. "I'm proud of the way that we hung in there, I'm proud of the way we didn't collapse and we fought and we fended off their attacks."

Still, the 1-0-1 weekend was a welcome change for a team that began 2007 with losses at Denver and the University of Illinois-Chicago.

"This was a big weekend, I mean no losses," Belfrage said. "It's a great starting point.

Bennett agreed, and said he hoped this weekend at home will be something the Golden Eagles will build on in the future.

"It's a starting point. We have a gritty brick that we've put in our foundation. It's better than 0-2. It shows that we're playing well, and how we are negotiating the obstacles put in front of us."