Catholic Outreach Program begins a new year

Mattox spoke to about 45 students, faculty and graduates about his agnostic upbringing and experience with the Southern Baptist and Lutheran faiths.,”The Catholic Outreach Program kicked off its first meeting of the year Thursday at the Chapel of the Holy Family with a presentation by Mickey Mattox, associate professor of theology, on why he became Catholic.

Mattox spoke to about 45 students, faculty and graduates about his agnostic upbringing and experience with the Southern Baptist and Lutheran faiths. He said he struggled for 10 or 12 years with deciding whether or not to become Catholic. He said the dilemma was apparent when Pope John Paul II died in 2005.

"He had been the pope all my adult life, but he was the pope I didn't believe in," Mattox said.

A few months later, Mattox, his wife and two sons became Catholic on Marquette's campus. He said it was the Eucharist and drawing power of Jesus Christ that finally pulled him toward Catholicism.

"I don't want to tell you that my coming into the Catholic Church was an expression of my individual will," he said. "It felt like falling into an ocean."

Those in the audience said Mattox's presentation made them think about their own Catholic values.

"I thought it was very, very engaging," said Mike Tedone, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences. "I was impressed with his comparing the church to an ocean. I'll definitely be thinking about it for a few days."

Tommy Nelson, a 2007 Marquette graduate, said he related with the influence the Eucharist had on Mattox.

"It was during Eucharistic Adoration when I decided — or Jesus decided — that I would go to Marquette," he said. "The Eucharist is the source and summit of Christian life."

Nelson and the others in attendance were able to share their own thoughts on Catholicism in small groups following Mattox's speech. The groups discussed religious activities available on campus, such as praying the rosary with a group, participating in an annual retreat and taking part in Eucharistic Adoration.

Gina Galassi, a freshman in the College of Arts & Science, said the group sessions were a helpful addition to Mattox's speech.

"I hope to meet people that share the same faith and values as me," she said.