The Gus Knorr Show – 9/20/12

Hey everyone! Tonight, I will be on the air for the second week of The Gus Knorr Show for this semester, which, as always, will be at 8:00 pm on Thursday night. This week’s theme will be a variety of songs from all different time periods that have the same title, but are actually different songs. Each of these songs will be played in pairs or triplets; a song with that name that was recorded first, and then a different song with the same name that was recorded later.

• The first song tonight is one by Led Zeppelin, released in 1969; it’s “Heartbreaker.”
    • Obviously, based on the theme tonight, the next song is also called “Heartbreaker,” though it’s by a different hard rock musician, and was released ten years later by Pat Benatar.
    • Switching off to a couple of recently-released songs, the next song was performed by garage rock band The Whigs, released off their new album Enjoy the Company. This track, which was first released as a free download last year, is called “Waiting.”
    • Next up is another new song appropriately called “Waiting,” by electronic group MNDR.
    • Finishing off this set of three new songs, the next one has the word “Waiting” in the title, and is performed by Field Report, a project consisting of Chris Porterfield, who was in a little group called DeYarmond Edison, with a guy named Justin Vernon. (He’s in Bon Iver, that band from Eau Claire that won a Grammy, for those not in the know.) The song is “I Am Not Waiting Anymore.”
    • Moving back to some older songs, next is a song by rock and roll pioneer Bo Diddley, who released the song back in 1955. It’s “I’m a Man,” and a song with the same title was released by a British rock band about 12 years later. Which band is it? You’ll just have to wait and see!
    • Right now, I will tell you that the next song on The Gus Knorr Show tonight is by The Spencer Davis Group, and is also called “I’m a Man.”
    • Next is another song from the 1960s, written by country singer Willie Nelson but best known for its cover version by Patsy Cline, which is the version that will be played on The Gus Knorr Show; it’s “Crazy.”
    • The next song called “Crazy” is admittedly quite different from Cline’s version, as it was released as an alternative hip-hop/soul song in 2006, and is by Cee Lo Green and Danger Mouse’s musical collaboration Gnarls Barkley.
    • The next pair of songs are both from the 1970s and were both number one singles in America, though they were of different genres. The first one is the Eagles’ version of “Best of My Love.”
    • “Best of My Love” was also the name of a number one single from 1977, by disco group The Emotions, which also happens to be the next song on The Gus Knorr Show tonight.
    • Moving right along, the next song is by The Escape Club, a late-’80s British alternative rock band. This song was a number one single in America despite not charting in England; it’s “Wild Wild West.”
    • Yes, based on the title of the last song, the next song is probably what you think it is, but it admittedly is a guilty pleasure of mine. The next song on The Gus Knorr Show, from the 1999 film Wild Wild West, is the title track, rapped by Will Smith, who sampled the Stevie Wonder song “I Wish.”
    • This week, there will be two Wesley Willis Songs of the Week as opposed to simply one, as both of these songs had the same title and subject, but different lyrics. Both songs are appropriately called “Elvis Presley,” singing about Willis’ love of the king of rock and roll.
    • Next is a song by 1950s teen idol Frankie Avalon, which was a number one hit in America, as was the next song, which also has the same title. I am talking about Avalon’s song, “Venus.”
    • This other version of “Venus” was performed by Dutch band Shocking Blue, who had their biggest worldwide hit with the song, which was released in 1970.
    • The final pair of songs tonight are both called “Shout,” and the first one, later known for its usage in the filmĀ Animal House, was released by The Isley Brothers in 1959.
    • The final song on The Gus Knorr Show tonight is Tears for Fears’ version of “Shout,” which was a number one single in America in 1985.

That’s it for The Gus Knorr Show tonight, but stay tuned for The Gus Knorr Show next week, Thursday night, September 27, at 8:00 PM, and also be sure to listen to next week’s New Music Monday, on Monday at 7:00 PM, hosted by Vince McCann, an assistant music director for Marquette Radio. Thanks for listening!

It's Gus!
    Me in lovely Venice Beach, CA, though when I had longer hair than I do currently. I’ll upload a new picture when I feel like it.