olted NAACP seeks new president after president resigns following 19-month tenure

AP National Writer

NEW YORK (AP) – When Bruce S. Gordon was appointed president of the NAACP 19 months ago, some observers said it wasn't a good fit. Now the civil rights organization must look for someone new to lead it in the wake of Gordon's sudden resignation.,”By ERIN TEXEIRA

AP National Writer

NEW YORK (AP) – When Bruce S. Gordon was appointed president of the NAACP 19 months ago, some observers said it wasn't a good fit. Now the civil rights organization must look for someone new to lead it in the wake of Gordon's sudden resignation.

Dennis C. Hayes, the group's general counsel, will serve as interim president. Hayes filled the same role after Kweisi Mfume resigned the presidency in 2004.

In a phone interview with The Associated Press from Los Angeles, Gordon cited as reasons for his stepping down his clashes with board members over management style and differing opinions over the organization's mission.

"I don't view this as I'm right and they're wrong. I view this as I see things one way and they see things a different way. That misalignment between the CEO and the board is unhealthy," Gordon said Sunday.

Julian Bond, chairman of the board of the Baltimore-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said Gordon tried to quit just six weeks after taking the job in August 2005, but Bond convinced him to stay.

"There were occasions where it seemed just not to be a perfect fit," Bond said. "But he had many, many great qualities, and he exhibited those qualities when he worked for us. I'm disappointed that it came to this."

Gordon said that although the NAACP is an advocacy organization, his vision was to focus more on finding practical solutions to black America's problems.

Gordon repeatedly made clear that he wanted the NAACP to do more social service work, said Rupert Richardson, a board member from Louisiana, but board members balked.

"I think he saw his job as remaking us to make us more effective, but his job was to do what the board and management wanted," she said. "He was not a good fit for us, but he could have been."

Bond said, "Put simply, we fight racial discrimination and social service groups fight the effects of racial discrimination. Service is wonderful and praiseworthy and fabulous, but many, many organizations do it. Only a couple do justice work, and we're one of those few."