Snapping out of it

Shoot 34 free throws and hit at least 80 percent of them, or make seven in a row.,”

Still reeling from a last-second loss to Louisville the day before in which it missed several free throws down the stretch, the men's basketball team had a choice to make Sunday night after practice:

Shoot 34 free throws and hit at least 80 percent of them, or make seven in a row.

"They all made seven in a row before they got to 34," said head coach Tom Crean.

It was a sign of things to come as No. 16 Marquette (22-7, 9-5 Big East) snapped its three-game losing streak Monday night with an 80-67 victory over Villanova (18-9, 6-7) at the Bradley Center.

The Golden Eagles made 31 of 35 free throws, and their sophomore trio of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Matthews made all 20 of its attempts.

"I always say that free throws are contagious," James said. "When a couple of us are missing them, it seems like the whole team is missing them. … It's confidence."

The team's confidence suffered when its losing skid took the Golden Eagles out of the Big East regular season title race. With two games remaining (at Notre Dame Saturday, vs. Pittsburgh March 3), the short-term goal is a top-four finish, which would guarantee a first-round bye in the conference tournament.

Although Monday night's win was a refreshing response to Saturday's heartbreak, Marquette did not showcase postseason-caliber form. James, McNeal and Matthews combined to shoot 13-of-33 from the field, the team had more turnovers (14) than assists (11) and Marquette never displayed its eye-catching transition game (six fast-break points).

The improved foul shooting, therefore, was essential.

In their previous two losses to Louisville and DePaul, the Golden Eagles went a combined 26-of-45 from the free-throw line. Their performance Monday kept Villanova from mounting a serious threat in the second half.

The Wildcats twice cut the deficit to six with less than three minutes left. The first time, Matthews answered with a pair of free throws. The second, James and McNeal sunk four straight to extend the lead to 10.

But Marquette's key player was not one of the sophomore guards; instead, it was freshman Lazar Hayward, who had career highs of 18 points and 28 minutes. He made smart cuts off the ball, received the ball in good positions and finished his opportunities.

"I've always had a knack for the ball," Hayward said. "I guess some guys, they forget about me. I don't understand why."

It may have been easy to lose sight of Hayward when James and McNeal, who combined for eight assists, constantly attacked the Villanova defense off dribble penetration.

"Their guards did such a great job driving the ball and forced us to rotate," said Villanova head coach Jay Wright. "Instead of Hayward just standing around watching when we rotated, he went to the open area. … He did a great job moving without the ball underneath the basket."

Hayward scored 13 points in the first half and helped Marquette rally from an early nine-point deficit. Villanova guard Scottie Reynolds scored 16 of his game-high 25 points in the first eleven minutes, and the Wildcats led 28-19 with 7:14 to play in the first half.

Hayward scored seven straight points to swing the momentum in Marquette's favor.