Gesu to hold night of devotion

The evening, which is dedicated to the "Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary," starts at 8 p.m., with a Mass in the lower church of Gesu Parish.,”

An evening of devotion Friday will provide Catholics with an opportunity to reflect and meditate in front of the Eucharist.

The evening, which is dedicated to the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, starts at 8 p.m. with a Mass in the lower church of Gesu Church. Throughout the evening, priests such as theology professor the Rev. William Kurz, history professor the Rev. John Patrick Donnelly and theology department chair the Rev. John Laurance will speak on the theme, "The Seven Deadly Sins and the Seven Holy Virtues."

"It's a different kind of spiritual experience," said Donnelly, who will deliver a homily at 4 a.m. Saturday and celebrate the closing Mass at 5 a.m. He suggested the ritual Catholic prayers during the evening and plenty of time for personal prayer would offer students an experience with which many Catholics are not familiar.

The service also includes a procession with hymns, a holy hour of reparation, Stations of the Cross, several recitations of the rosary and the closing Mass.

This is the 42nd year of the devotion, which meets monthly in a different Catholic church.