School of Education could become college

The change from school to college would allow the education program to admit freshmen for the first time, become an academic home for primary majors and create undergraduate degrees, according to Bill Henk, dean of the School of Education.,”

The Academic Senate approved two proposals Monday that would change the School of Education to the College of Education and introduce a Bachelor of Science degree beginning in fall 2008.

The change from school to college would allow the education program to admit freshmen for the first time, become an academic home for primary majors and create undergraduate degrees, according to Bill Henk, dean of the School of Education.

By granting undergraduate degrees, the College of Education would garner an alumni base that is currently nonexistent.

Henk said there are zero undergraduate alumni from the School of Education, since students enrolled receive their degree from the college in which they declare a primary major.

"It's time to be recognized as a professional institution," Henk said.

Henk said the change would also reduce time of degree completion, which is now often more than four years because students have to fulfill the university core, a primary major and School of Education requirements.

With college status, students would receive a primary degree from the College of Education, but would also be required to pick up a secondary major from another of the university's colleges.

The change, which had one objection in the Senate, still needs to be approved by the university's board of trustees. The issue will most likely go to the board at its March 14 meeting, according to Provost Madeline Wake.

Materials were already in place for the College of Education's debut in fall 2008, Wake said.

Because a college can offer degrees that a school cannot, the Senate also voted to approve the introduction of a Bachelor of Sciences degree to the College of Education, if approved.

"It's important if students want to be teachers, there is a teaching major," said Peggy Bloom, vice provost for undergraduate programs and teaching.

Henk said it was not unusual for education programs to offer Bachelor of Science degrees as opposed to Bachelor of Arts degrees. The B.S. degree was chosen because professors on the board of undergraduate studies expressed concern over students in science fields being able to get jobs without a Bachelor of Science degree.

The degree consists of two possible majors – elementary education and secondary education. Students in each major would fulfill individual major requirements as well as the college core, the university core and secondary major requirements.

The Senate also approved the introduction of five specializations in a master's degree program in leadership in the College of Professional Studies. The degree would be open to professional engineers in need of leadership skill development, according to Wake.

These courses are currently taught in engineering and will not require additional resources.

Though the program has not yet been publicized, Bob Deahl, dean of the College of Professional Studies, said there was interest from six to 12 engineers from Harley Davidson in the next three to five years. Those enrolled will pay full tuition for the graduate courses.