Milwaukee teen shot to death

A 19-year-old man was shot to death early Tuesday morning in northwestern Milwaukee's Amani neighborhood, near Sherman Park.

A 911 call placed approximately 10 minutes before 8 a.m. brought police to the 2900 block of North 30th Street, where Jonathan King had been shot shortly before, according to Milwaukee Police Department Public Information Officer Anne E. Schwartz.

The police department now has two suspects in custody for the shooting and is looking for at least one more, she said.

Although it was earlier reported that King was a University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee student, Schwartz said the university does not have him listed as a student. Spokesmen for the university said no plans had been made for a remembrance or vigil for King, but did not return calls seeking clarification of his status as a student.

Both Sherman Park, often praised as a model racially diverse middle-class neighborhood, and Amani, which has a rough-around-the-edges reputation, are located in the police department's District 7, one of Milwaukee's largest.

Steve O'Connell, executive director of the Sherman Park Community Association, said police resources are unevenly spread throughout the district and are too concentrated in the east, near the Amani neighborhood.

District 7 consists of a 15.7 square mile area with over 140,000 residents, according to the City of Milwaukee's Web site.

A spokesman for District 7 declined to comment on O'Connell's comments.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on March 31 2005.