A flurry of fun

The coordinators of Winter Flurry, a homecoming-style week of events that opens the spring semester, want students to appreciate it for more than just the Snow Ball, a formal dance that ends the week.

"What we are trying to do is veer away from making (the week about) Snow Ball and making it aware to students that Winter Flurry makes up the entire first week that we come back from Christmas break," said Zea Urbiztondo, a senior in the College of Health Sciences and the student director of Winter Flurry.

Urbiztondo described the week of events as "an opportunity for all of the students to get back together with their friends" and a time to "relax, reconnect and have fun coming back into the school year."

In the past, Winter Flurry has helped Urbiztondo transition back to school.

"Being involved in something that reaches out to so many students and something that so many students really enjoy and look forward to, it means a lot to me," Urbiztondo said.

The themes this year are "Winter Flurry Goes Coast to Coast" and "Marquette-Bound," Urbiztondo said.

There have been some problems at the Snow Ball in the past, including a student caught drinking an alcoholic beverage at last year's dance, according to the Jan. 25 issue of the Tribune.

This, however, was an isolated incident, Urbiztondo said. Students are informed about the dance's safety procedures and must sign an alcohol agreement when they pick up their tickets, she said.

Students will get a chance to show off at the "Spotlight" talent show Jan. 18, 2006, in the Weasler Auditorium. On Jan. 20, a tailgate party will be held at the Bradley Center prior to the Marquette-Notre Dame basketball game.

The week will end with the Snow Ball on Jan. 21 in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms.

The dance has 1,800 tickets available, up 50 tickets from last year because the tickets sell fast, said Katie Kusiak, the assistant director for Winter Flurry and a junior in the College of Communication.

Admission to all events is free to Marquette students. Students from other schools are not allowed to attend because Winter Flurry funds are set aside from the overall Student Activity Fee that students pay every semester, Kusiak said.

Planning for Winter Flurry began last spring and the committee is now tying up loose ends, Urbiztondo said.

There are approximately 30 volunteer members on staff for Winter Flurry. During the Snow Ball, the staff works closely with AMU staff and administrators, Kusiak said.

College of Communication freshman Chris Donahue is a member of the Entertainment Committee and said she is extremely excited for this year's events.

"There are memorable events that will stay with the students the entire year," Donahue said.

"As a freshman, I've heard that the reputation of Winter Flurry is renowned for being outstanding and enthusiastic," she said.,”James A. Molnar”