Fair connects employers to students

Students visiting the university's annual career fair, which is Wednesday in the Alumni Memorial Union ballrooms from 4 to 8 p.m., can meet prospective employers, gather internship information and learn more about the careers available within a major.

However, the sheer number of companies present may make attending a seemingly daunting task.

The key to making the most out of the fair, according to Career Services Center Director Laura Kestner, is to have a plan. The center's Web site features an online guidebook with information on all 130 organizations that will be represented at this year's fair.

Kestner recommended students read the guidebook, highlight relevant organizations and "talk to at least 10."

Sara Johnson, a sophomore in the College of Health Sciences, said she plans to attend the fair in order to learn about internships and job options within the health sciences field.

Once at the fair, students should focus on "what they can do to make themselves more marketable," Kestner said. Dressing professionally and knowing about the company is key to making a good first impression, she said. When talking to organizations, it is important to be both professional and brief.

"You need to have a 60-second commercial prepared," Kestner said.

Kestner suggested students focus on three main points. First, students should tell recruiters their major and year in school.

Next, they should reveal where they have been by highlighting career-related classes, internships and leadership roles. Finally, students should let the recruiter know where they are headed by revealing their goals and what they want to learn more about.

"A job search is like dating," Kestner said. "When you go on a date, you don't want (the other person) to have to do all the work."

After the fair, it is important to follow-up with organizations by sending a thank-you letter.

"Follow-up is important, because not everyone does this. If you do, you will make a positive impression," said Kestner, who suggested attaching a resume to the letter to set it apart from other candidates.

Students who still feel unprepared or unsure about how to get the best results out of a visit to the career fair can visit the Career Services Center. The center is open for walk-in consultations with career interns, which are undergraduate students, primarily juniors and seniors, who assist students with resume writing and cover letters, every day from noon until 2 p.m. Career counselors will also be available at the fair to answer questions.

"There are so many resources on campus, you just have to use them," said Katie Collin, a College of Communication junior.

"The most important thing for students is to try to come prepared, be confident and enjoy yourself while talking to recruiters," Kestner said.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 27, 2005.