West speaks his mind on CD, in public

Kanye West has a slight reputation for loose lips.

Last week, at a telethon for Hurricane Katrina victims, he said, "George Bush doesn't care about black people." At the American Music Awards, he fussed over losing the Best New Artist award and called the music of country singer Gretchen Wilson, to whom he lost the honors, "bulls—."

But what is bad for network television censors (and perhaps, his reputation) is good for his CDs. Late Registration — the follow-up to his Grammy-winning The College Dropout — is a spectacular work that outshines his debut and ought to win him a few more awards.

Put simply, West's delivery and lyrics are much better — and in, some songs, funnier — than Dropout. In "Gold Digger," he lets fly: "She walkin' around lookin' like Michael (Jackson) with your money/ Should have got that insured, got GEICO for your money/ If you ain't no punk, holla, we want pre-nup."

When he's serious, his rhymes are just as good and intelligent. West has clearly listened to a wide variety of music; he references the folk classic "Leaving on a Jet Plane," the gospel song "This Little Light of Mine" and Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful to Me."

But it's the honesty in his lyrics that shines through. No, he never hustled, but he's experienced discrimination and knows those affected by drugs. Yes, he's done wrong, and yes, he's mad at the government ("Crack Music" contains negative references to former Presidents George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan) and those who are using him to advance their own careers ("Bring Me Down"). But he loves his mother and grandmother and dedicates touching, heartfelt songs ("Hey Mama" and "Roses") to each of them.

It certainly doesn't hurt that most of Late Registration is produced by Jon Brion, who before West's CD was best known for making it possible to listen to Fiona Apple. Brion's specialty is his ability to convey emotions and drama without making the songs drag, and he shows it best in "Diamonds from Sierra Leone," which uses part of a haunting song from a James Bond movie. Brion's work results in a surprisingly good cross between a Moby album and College Dropout.

The list of guest stars is impressive, featuring Jay-Z, Brandy, Common, the Game and, oddly enough, Adam Levine of Maroon 5. None of them sound out of place, and all add plenty to the album. Even the skits about a fake fraternity, "Broke Phi Broke" (motto: We Ain't Got It), don't detract from the album. Late Registration as a whole is easily a Grammy contender, but it begs the question: Will West's music or his outbursts define his reputation?

Grade: A

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 8, 2005.