Cream City big on options

The Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, SoHo. Okay, so Milwaukee's not the Big Apple, but the Brew City still has its fair share of happening districts with quite a bit to offer if you just look closely.

While classes, on-campus jobs and homework, homework, homework make it easy to get trapped in the Marquette bubble, a trip out every now and then is good, if only for your sanity. Thankfully, Milwaukee has plenty of little hubs providing entertainment — or if anything a good meal — to give you a dose of that fresh air.

East Side – Bus: 30

Milwaukee's East Side has long been the stylish side of town, with alternative establishments rangingfrom specialty shops to vintage stores, coffeehouses to pizza joints. And of course, it is where you find the historic Oriental Theatre, showcasing independent, foreign and art films.

Node Coffee Shop: 1504 E. North Ave.

North of the Brady Street area, Node is perfect for late-night studying — it's open 24 hours. The coffee shop displays local art, and its Take-a-book Leave-a-book library is just flat-out cool.

Bella's Fat Cat: 1233 E. Brady St.

Huge hamburgers, cold custard and oily onion rings, Bella's Fat Cat is cheap, fills you up and it's good.

Recycled Books and Records: 2239 N. Prospect Ave.

With an excellent selection of used books and vinyl, Recycled Books and Records is a one-stop shop for Buffalo Springfield or Miles Davis, Toni Morrison or Ken Kesey. Special sales are held constantly, making the store an even better deal.

Bay View – Bus: 15 on Water Street

Located southeast from Marquette, this area goes largely unnoticed, making it somewhat of a hidden gem. With plenty of businesses, it has the hip of the East Side without being trendy. Bay View is also home to the Cactus Club, a 21-and-over venue for indie acts like Ted Leo and The Pharmacists and The Dirtbombs.

Hi-Fi Café: 2640 S Kinnickinnic Ave

Sort of resembling a 1950s soda shop, but grungier, Hi-Fi Café offers chai milkshakes, an assortment of sandwiches and pizza, and vegan bakery from East Side Ovens. Plenty of tables allow room for studying if Raynor's not your thing.

Rush Mor Records: 2635 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.

To borrow a line from Rob Gordon in High Fidelity, visit Rush Mor to find your "deleted Smith singles and original, not re-released underlined Frank Zappa albums." A knowledgeable staff can give you advice on your music selections, and everything is well labeled, separating the Euro rock from the progressive rock.

Tip Top Atomic Shop: 2343 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.

Specializing in vintage clothing from the 1940s and '50s as well as household furniture and other collectibles, Tip Top Atomic Shop is the place to go for Rockabilly gear.

Riverwest – Bus: 10

Located northwest of the East Side, Riverwest's slogan is "Diversity is Our Strength." With an overwhelming sense of community in the air, Riverwest is a great place for an afternoon walk or a cup of coffee. Fuel Café is home to motorcycles and punks, and is as dirty as they come.

Bremen Café: 901 E. Clarke St.

Internet access, "Riverwest's best bruschetta" and plenty of acoustic acts on both the local and national level, Bremen Café is a cozy place to catch an open mic night or Wednesday's mid-week mountain music.

Riverwest Co-op: 733 N. Clarke St.

Run by volunteers, the small natural foods store is jam-packed with vegetarian goodies, organic produce and environmentally-sound beauty products. As a cooperative, individuals can become owners of the store for $20 a year, which not only gets them a discount, but a say in what the store sells.

Industry Records: 906 E. Center St.

Opened by a 20-year-old four months ago, Industry Records specializes in hip-hop and electronic music with over 5,000 records, and carries turntables and anything else a DJ might need.

The Rave: 2401 W. Wisconsin Ave.

Concerts, concerts, concerts. The Rave is Milwaukee's main venue for national acts, whether you're into

Wilco, Method Man or Medeski, Martin & Wood. Housing five different rooms, there's usually someone playing every night.

Downtown Books: 327 E. Wisconsin Ave.

Three floors and 200-plus categories, it's hard to walk into Downtown Books and not leave without

something in your hand. Every book is used, making titles cheap, and everything from the classics to The New York Times bestsellers can be found. Record collectors will love the new vinyl room on the top floor as well.

Nectar Espresso Bar and Cafe: 708 N. Milwaukee St.

If you've never tried an orchid before and you would like to, Nectar gives you the opportunity to try the tasty flower — every sandwich comes with the edible plant. Then again, if a simple cup of coffee is more your thing you can have that too.