Gil’s night out

When Gil Rasmussen realized he couldn't spend his entire life reading English essays and improving high-schoolers' golf swings — his intended career — he recalled the 14-couples-at-a-table meals he had with the Italian side of his family and decided sautéing and simmering sounded more suitable.

He enrolled at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, N.Y., and returned to Waukesha several years later. He directed his energies toward a single goal: Gil's Café & Grill, 2608 N. Downer Ave., which celebrated its 10th birthday in January.

Featuring an array of sandwiches, pizzas and salads — not to mention omelettes on the weekend — Gil's Café evokes the feeling of a European sidewalk joint at night, a cozy ski village retreat during the day. It's classy but comfortable.

Brick walls and thick wooden tables combine with a relatively small seating area to give Gil's Café a welcoming atmosphere.

"We intentionally (designed it) to give it a warm, inviting feel, to look like we've been there 100 years," Rasmussen said. "We wanted people to be comfortable when they first walked in. There are very few places where you can sense someone's personality, not just someone who has written a check for an architectural firm. You get the feeling somebody owns this."

A framed caricature-like drawing of Rasmussen proudly sits at one end of the bar and an assortment of colorful concert bills line the stairwell to the second floor.

Before he opened the cafe, the moderately-priced eatery was a stranger to Milwaukee.

"There was not a restaurant between George Webb's and the Pfister," Rasmussen said. "People thought I was crazy when I told them what I wanted to do."

But the city welcomed Rasmussen with open arms.

"It was really amazing when I first opened. it was like I had instant regulars," he said.

The menu highlights include lemon butter-glazed salmon and Charleston curry chicken pizza.

"When we knew we were going to move here, we designed the menu for this location," Rasmussen said. "A neighborhood concept — we did simple, familiar food with a twist."

Along with its food offerings, Gil's Café hosts live musicians throughout the year. Americana artists like Robinella & the CCstringband and Alejandro Escovedo have played in the past. Shows start at 7 p.m., allowing for the tunes to start at an earlier-than-usual hour.

"I get those bands that play 'Austin City Limits,'" said Rasmussen, referring to the long-running PBS concert series. We get "the best song lyricists, some of the best people out of the cool parts of Nashville and southern California.

"There's a suitable break in between sets so you can leave if you want, talk to the band, buy a CD," he said. "It's easy to see music now."

Whether you're interested in the food, the music or both, Rasmussen has advice for everyone out there: "Just come on in."

More information on Gil's Café & Grill, 2608 N. Downer Ave., is available by calling 964-4455 or by visiting www.gilscafe.com.