Campus robberies mar last 100 hours

Two armed robberies and a string of physical confrontations occurred on or near campus in the past week, according to the Department of Public Safety.

One male student and two people not affiliated with Marquette were approached by three unknown male suspects in a rear parking lot in the 2000 block of West Wisconsin Avenue early Wednesday morning, according to DPS reports.

One of the three suspects displayed what appeared to be a small handgun and demanded the victims give up their property, according Capt. Russ Shaw, associate director of DPS.

The student gave his cell phone and credit cards, and one of the non-Marquette victims gave his cell phone and $30 in cash and the other victim gave his cell phone, Shaw said. Total property lost was estimated at $230.

Shaw said the student first contacted the Milwaukee Police Department, which then notified DPS of the armed robbery.

In a second incident, a male student was approached by three male suspects early Friday morning while standing on the porch of his residence in the 2000 block of West Michigan Street, Shaw said.

Shaw said DPS believes the same individuals are responsible for both incidents.

One of the three suspects displayed what appeared to be a small handgun and demanded the student hand over his property. The student gave the suspect his wallet, from which the suspect took $30 in cash.

The suspects then entered the student's residence, where another male student and two female students were, according to Shaw. He said a suspect took a cell phone from one of the female students, but then tossed the phone down. From the other female student the suspect took an unknown amount of cash, and nothing was taken from the second male student, he said. Total property taken was estimated at $80.

The students contacted DPS, which then contacted MPD, Shaw said.

Suspects are described as:

An African-American male in his late teens to early 20s, between 5'10" and 6'0" tall, with short hair worn in tight curls. He was wearing a green and white Michigan State football jersey.

An African-American male in his late teens or early 20s between 5'10" and 6'0" inches tall. He was wearing a red and white jersey with a red bull on the front and a baseball cap turned backwards.

An African-American male in his late teens to early twenties about 5'6" tall wearing a dark blue or black hooded sweatshirt with a zippered front.

MPD is conducting an ongoing investigation into both incidents, Shaw said. No one was apprehended as of Monday afternoon.

A female student reported Friday at 10 a.m. being sexually assaulted by a known male student at the male's residence in the 900 block of North 17th Street, according to Shaw.

The victim reported she had gone to a local restaurant with the male student and then returned with him to his residence, where he sexually assaulted her, Shaw said.

Shaw said the victim declined MPD assistance, and DPS is conducting an investigation.

On Saturday, a male student reported being battered by an unknown suspect, who approached the student with another unknown person, in the 800 block of North 16th Street.

The student was punched and kicked by one of the unknown persons, Shaw said, and suffered a broken nose and broken cheekbone. The victim was transported by ambulance to Aurora Sinai Medical Center, according to DPS reports.

According to Shaw, the victim said the two people looked like students.

At 1:40 p.m. the same day, a male student reported being kicked by an unidentified suspect in the 900 block of North Renee Row Street, according to DPS reports. The student declined MPD assistance and did not require medical attention.

Shaw said the victim described the suspect as looking like a student.

Also on Saturday, two students and an alumnus reported being battered by a person not affiliated with Marquette in the 900 block of North 15th Street, according to DPS reports. Shaw said the three victims subdued the 20-year-old suspect and contacted DPS. Also, a Milwaukee police officer on bike patrol in the area showed up to the scene and arrested the suspect.

According to Shaw, the victim received state charges for resisting and obstructing justice and disorderly conduct, and two municipal charges for battery and underage drinking.

On Sunday morning, a male student reported being kicked by an unidentified male suspect in the 1600 block of West Wells Street, according to DPS reports. The victim declined MPD and medical assistance.

Shaw said the victim described the suspect as being student-aged.