Golden Eagles grab lead early on

It's not a good idea to show up late to one of the men's soccer matches.

In each of the squad's home games at Valley Fields a goal has been scored in the first six minutes.

Before Wednesday night's contest against Illinois-Chicago, the visiting team had done all the early scoring but with one right-footed blast Chris Lee changed that.

"(Sophomore Pat) Knoelke played me a good ball wide," said Lee, a senior forward.

"He played it ahead of one of the last defenders. I ran onto it. I did a move around him (the defender) and shot it into the net."

Lee's spin move and high, hard shot over the goalkeeper 3 minutes and 56 seconds into the game resulted in his team's leading third goal of the season.

He picked up his first assist of the year 16 minutes into the second half when junior midfielder Matt Soper added an insurance goal. With the 2-0 win before 244 spectators Marquette improved to 2-4.

"It feels great," Soper said. "We came off a really good weekend of playing really hard. We came together as a team."

One reason for the team's success was head coach Steve Adlard broke the game down and set objectives for his players at each stage of the match.

"We're stressing 15 minute (increments) — zero to 15, 15 to 30, certain critical points in the game," Soper said.

"In the first half I thought we did follow it," Adlard said when asked about his chart to success. "I was kind of pleased with that. We wrote it up on the board again today and I thought, other than the last two or three minutes before half time, we did follow the chart."

Less than two minutes into the match freshman defender Erik Ruiz had a good chance to net his second goal of the season, but his shot sailed over the net.

Thirteen minutes later Knoelke chased down an errant cross and launched a shot from the left corner that rose a foot above the crossbar.

Junior midfielder Blair Kohlmeyer had the best chance of the night.

A few minutes before Soper's goal, Kohlmeyer had the ball at his feet, time at his disposal, the goalie on the ground and a lot of open net to shoot at. His shot from inside six yards landed in the arms of Flames freshman goalkeeper Jeff Engelbrecht.

"I'm pleased we're creating," Adlard said. "Now we're creating chances, whereas in the first two or three games of the year we didn't create chances."

The Flames also failed to convert on a number of quality scoring chances. Part of the reason for that is freshman goalkeeper Steve Grow made four saves and punched a number of crossing passes out of danger on his way to earning his second shutout in three starts for Marquette.