Wainwright ‘Wants’ more

When Rufus Wainwright hears "Pabst Theater" he enthusiastically declares, "It's my favorite theater in America," without a moment's hesitation.

When you consider the singer-songwriter's bent toward ancient forms, that's not all that surprising.

"I'm a big fan of German classical music," Wainwright said. The Pabst "has a prominent display of Germanic heritage — Bach, Beethoven. The décor is great. Size-wise it's perfect. There's something about the Midwest; it's like an opera house in the middle of the jungle."

Wainwright will return to the Pabst on Monday, performing solo and giving those in attendance a sneak preview of Want Two — the follow-up to last year's Want One — set for a Nov. 16 release.

According to Wainwright, the songs on the new album are easier to play sans band and perfect for his upcoming gig.

"These (songs) are a little more utilitarian," Wainwright said. "Want One had the real big pop numbers."

Both albums are the product of a single recording session that included guest appearances by the likes of Charlie Sexton, Levon Helm, Martha Wainwright (his sister) and folksinger Kate McGarrigle (his mom).

"I feel really lucky to be alive in a period where I have several decades to choose from, different players from different times," Wainwright said. "It's kind of really important to use resources."

While Want One and Want Two were born together, Wainwright said the albums have completely separate sounds.

"As I'm becoming familiar with the music again, I'm realizing that (Want Two) is very different from Want One," Wainwright said. "It's much more esoteric, much more classical. It's less poppy, but more sort of intense. It's a sort of dark second act."

Last week, Wainwright began the process of mixing the forthcoming record — a task that initially seemed daunting.

"I was worried about how the songs would blossom," Wainwright said, "But everything's coming up roses!"

Wainwright said if an underlying idea exists on Want Two, it's "schizophrenia."

"It's even more kind of diverse than anything I've ever made," Wainwright said. "It starts off with 'Agnus Dei,' which is a real intense liturgical ditty and ends with 'An Old Whore's Diet.' So it kind of goes from heaven to hell."

Along with a new album, Wainwright will make his big-screen debut, first in Martin Scorsese's upcoming "The Aviator," when he sings alongside his sister and his father, Loudon Wainwright III. The decision to appear in the film, which features an all-star cast including Leonardo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale and Alec Baldwin, was a no-brainer according to Wainwright. And it helped him ease into his thirties.

"They filmed it in Montreal, which is where I grew up, and I was on set for my thirtieth birthday," Wainwright said. "So I didn't have time for a nervous breakdown."

Wainwright will also appear in "Heights," where he takes on his first real dramatic role.

"With 'Heights' I was a bit more apprehensive," Wainwright said. "I was worried about relating to the camera. In the end it worked out. When you do acting you're under the mercy of technology and machines because you can't fool the camera."

Does Wainwright foresee himself as the next Cary Grant or Tom Hanks?

"The life of rejection guaranteed with acting is not something I aspire to," he said with a laugh. "But if the role is right, I'll definitely consider it."

In the meantime, Wainwright is looking forward to his brief tour in the Midwest when he takes the stage alone — ultimately, it's his favorite way to perform.

"If push came to shove, I would go with the solo show for survival's sake," Wainwright said. "It's the essence of my being when you get down to it. It's important for songwriters to express themselves solo.

"I think I learned that from my father. There's something very noble in it."

Rufus Wainwright performs with Dayna Kurtz at 7:30 p.m. Monday at The Pabst Theater, 144 E. Wells St. Tickets range from $27.50 to $34.50. More information is available by calling 286-3663.