‘King Ubu’ stirs up Theatre X

The fact that Theatre X is performing "King Ubu" — the story of an absolutely ridiculous tyrant who conquers Poland before resolving to take over the world — for the entire month of October (also known as the month preceding the election) isn't exactly a coincidence.

In fact, the move was rather deliberate.

"It's a theme that is well-known to Europe, and unfortunately is becoming more well-known in America," said John Schneider, artistic director and founding member of Theatre X. "I wanted to do something that was right for the time."

Written by Alfred Jarry, "King Ubu" debuted in Paris in 1896, and created a stir unlike anything else in the history of theater; an all-out riot among the audience, complete with fistfights and challenges to a duel after the show.

As Schneider explains, Jarry designed the play to be outrageous on purpose, using the idea of clobbering puppets as a basic model for his work.

"At the time, theater had been striving for realism," Schneider said. "Jarry said, 'Why do we have to do it that way?' He deliberately created an unrealistic theater far ahead of its time and people didn't know what to do with it."

Yet Jarry was on to something — the Theater of the Absurd, Dadaists, the Marx Brothers and even South Park exist as a direct result of his ideas.

"He was the grandfather to the 21st century avant-garde," Schneider said, who also teaches in the Performing Arts Department at Marquette.

With such a rich history, King Ubu is the perfect play for Theatre X, whose aim has always been to work out of the history of experimental theater. In the 1980s the company did readings of King Ubu in various bars for pure enjoyment, drinking beer with script in hand.

Using progressive works like King Ubu as a springboard, Theatre X is able to "create a context for our own work," Schneider said, which includes improvisation. In the present production of King Ubu, actors have adapted the script here and there to fit the current political climate.

"They use contemporary pop culture references in the spirit of Jarry," Schneider said. "At the end the Ubus are off to take over Paris; in our production they leave to take over Texas and the oil industry."

Marquette alumnus Brian Moore — who graduated last May with a performing arts degree — plays King Ubu.

Schneider describes King Ubu as a "combination of grotesquery and silliness" and considers it one of the funniest stories in theater.

"It doesn't deny what's going on and yet you laugh until you have tears running down your face," Schneider said. "I'm very excited about it. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for those who can get into the spirit of it, it will be a good time."

"King Ubu" runs through Oct. 31 at Theater X at the Broadway Theater Center, 158 N. Broadway. Show times vary. More information is available by calling 291-7800.