Mr. Student goes to Washington as political science class returns

For students who are convinced that fun and education don't mix, the political science department just may have the answer.

The department is once again offering the popular POSC 198:The U.S. Supreme Court, according to Christopher Wolfe, professor in the Political Science department.

"The course is basically a combination of academic study of the Supreme Court and a trip to Washington, D.C.," he said.

During the three-day trip over spring break, students are given the chance to speak to and work with people of the court. In recent years, students have spoken with Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and E. Barrett Prettyman, a lawyer who speaks before the Court, he said.

The trip's expenses total approximately $625.

The Supreme Court is a "fascinating" and "important" institution, and students over the years have found the course exciting, he said.

"It's only in America where you can have a class like this, where top people take time out to speak with students from a Midwestern college," Wolfe said.

Marquette alumna Lauren Gizzi took the class last spring. This year, she is one of about 10 Marshal 's Aids for the Court — a job she said she got because of taking the Supreme Court class.

As a Marshal's Aid, her duties are in the courtroom, such as seating the public. In addition, she sits on the bench with the justices and "basically gets them anything they need," including law books, dictionaries and atlases.

If she hadn't taken the Supreme Court class, Gizzi said she would never have met anyone from the Supreme Court and most likely wouldn't be working there today.

"It was one of the top Marquette experiences I had," she said. "Everyone was very excited to talk to us and very interested in our questions. I felt very respected."

There are a limited number of slots available for the class, and interested students should contact Wolfe or pick up an application from the political science department.

Other departments are offering new courses for the spring semester, including two new English courses.

Sheila Collins, a Ph.D. candidate from the University of Kentucky, will be teaching ENGL 171: Studies in Literature and Culture: Representing Violence in American Literature. Amina Gautier, a Ph.D. candidate from the University of Pennsylvania, will teach ENGL 198: Special Topics in English: Rewriting Slavery, said Deb Jelacic, administrative secretary in the English department.

The Physics department is offering PHYS 198: The Historical Development of the Scientific Method.

In psychology, students can take PSYC 198: Special Topics in Psychology: Chaos and Complexity.

For students interested in more real world experience, the Psychology department offers PSYC 194: Field Experience in Psychology. Students enrolled in the class may have field experience outside of the university.

The Theology department is offering several new courses, according to Brad Hinze, associate professor of theology.

THEO 149: Women in the History of Christianity, THEO 179: Christian Faith and Racial Justice and THEO 179: Faith, Justice and Social Change, are all being offered next semester, Hinze said.

He said there is always high student interest in THEO 155: Jesus the Christ.

For students interested in the study of the Bible, there is THEO 103: New Testament Select Books: Meals and Message in the Gospels, Hinze said.

Every spring, the College of Arts & Sciences gives students a chance to learn about women and society through ARSC 140: Women in Society, according to Nicole Pokuta, senior in the College of Communication. The course will now fulfill the Individual and Social Behavior core requirement and anyone can enroll.