Collision temporarily closes Wisconsin Avenue traffic

Two vehicles collided at West Wisconsin Avenue and North 17th Street Wednesday afternoon and temporarily blocked the intersection, authorities said.

A Dodge Ram and a Lexus LS 430 crashed into each other at about 1 p.m. near Marquette's Dental School.

No one was injured and both parties were wearing seatbelts, according to Matthew Bongard, Milwaukee Police Department officer.

Milwaukee Police Department District Three officers and Milwaukee Fire Department, Engine Company Two, investigated the scene and temporarily closed Wisconsin Avenue to eastbound traffic from North 18th Street to 17th Street.

Bongard said the city block would be closed for about a half hour or until the tow truck came.

Latoya Howard, said she was headed for a microbiology class at Milwaukee Area Technical College. She was driving east on Wisconsin Avenue in her Dodge when she heard an ambulance coming and pulled over to let it pass. After yielding to the ambulance, she said she proceeded to drive east, following the speed limit.

She said the stoplight was green at Wisconsin Avenue and 17th Street so she proceeded through the intersection when she hit Patty Trader's Lexus.

"I just wish I could have waited a little longer," Howard said.

Although Howard was not hurt in the collision, she said she "might feel the impact tomorrow."

Trader, who was heading south on 17th Street, said she was waiting in her vehicle to turn left onto Wisconsin Avenue when the ambulance drove by.

After she stopped to let it pass, she proceeded to make her left turn. She said one person turned left before her without any problem. But when she turned, she collided with Howard.

Trader, a Marquette alumna, said some students asked if she was OK after the accident and offered to serve as witnesses in the police report.

"I was impressed with their kindness," she said.

The blue Dodge sustained front-end damages and the silver Lexus had a twisted wheel and a broken headlight on the front right side.

Howard said she has insurance.

MPD District Three Public Information Officer Ken Harris said no other information was available as of early Monday evening.