Crime survivors to speak at Varsity Theatre

For many crime victims, the painful process of healing lasts long after a criminal is sentenced.

With that in mind, the Marquette Law School's Restorative Justice Initiative Program is sponsoring a week-long "International Restorative Justice Week" from Nov. 15 to 19.

"Restorative justice comes out of a sociological principle that when a crime happens, all sorts of people are harmed," said Kyle Leighton, administrative assistant for the Restorative Justice Initiative.

In most cases, the victim of a crime is left behind while the state prosecutes the offender, according to Julius Andriusis, graduate assistant for Janine Geske, distinguished professor of law.

In contrast, the Restorative Justice program is "victim-centered" in its attempts to foster communication between the victim and the offender, Leighton said. The process is one of healing for the victims.

"The victims can come face-to-face with their offenders and talk about the effects the crime has had on their lives," he said.

In addition, the program is good for offenders because it "humanizes" their victims, Leighton said, because the victims were dehumanized in the crime.

The conferencing allows the offenders to see the real consequences of their crimes.

"Restorative justice is very consistent with the Jesuit principles," Geske said. "The law students are going out into the community and helping people in need."

Leighton said the week of events will serve to inform attendees about restorative justice and to show the kind of work people have done for the program. She said anyone is welcome to attend.

At noon today, there is a brownbag lunch in Sensenbrenner Hall. Attendees will get the chance to speak with people from the community who are involved with restorative justice, including survivors of crimes and employees from the public defender's office, Leighton said.

Andriusis said the lunch is free, and pizza and dessert will be provided.

The luncheon can accommodate up to 120 students, he said.

On Wednesday, David Lerman, Assistant District Attorney and Director of the Community Conferencing Program, will moderate a panel discussion at 7 p.m. in room 310 of Sensenbrenner Hall, Leighton said.

The panel members are all involved with restorative justice, he said.

The week's main event will be held Thursday from 6:30 to 9 p.m. in the Varsity Theatre, Leighton said.

There, four victims of crimes will share their experiences with restorative justice and how it has helped them, he said.

The speakers include Lynn BeBeau, the widow of a former police officer who was killed in the line of duty, and Penny Beernsten, a sexual assault survivor, Andriusis said.

Beernsten testified against Steven Avery, who was convicted of sexual assault and attempted murder in 1985. After almost 18 years in prison, DNA testing cleared him of the crime, Andriusis said.

Geske said Thursday's event is a unique opportunity for students because they will get the chance to hear the perspectives of victims who have experienced restorative justice.

Andriusis encourages students from all studies to attend the events.

"With all students, not just law students, it's important, because it's about paying attention to the victims and their needs," he said.

He said students from all humanitarian fields can benefit, for they may find themselves working with crime victims one day.