Diversity on display in AMU

Students interested in learning about other cultures can visit the Alumni Memorial Union this week to experience Culture Shock, a weeklong festival showcasing heritages from around the world.

The displays will be held Monday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m. on the first floor of the AMU, said Pamela Peters, coordinator for student organizations and leadership in the Office of Student Development. Ethnic foods will be available from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Multicultural Center.

A different continent will be featured each day, she said. Organizations involved in the event will reflect the continent of the day.

Monday's continent was Africa, today's is Europe, Wednesday's continents will be North America and the Caribbean, Thursday's will be Asia and Australia and Friday's will be South and Latin America, according to Jon Shaffer, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and founder and president of We Lead, a multicultural organization established last January.

"The goal of We Lead is to help students value diversity at Marquette and in Milwaukee," Shaffer said. "Diversity is more than just multiculturalism. Different religions, interests and hobbies are all part of it."

The members of We Lead came up with the idea for Culture Shock and organized the event, he said.

We Lead has six executive board members and over 100 members. One of the group's goals is to help connect all of Marquette's multicultural organizations, he said.

Culture Shock will feature artifacts to celebrate the continents, Shaffer said. Some of the artifacts on display include clay pottery from Central America, ancient scrolls from China, Buddha statues and Djembe drums from Africa.

In addition to Culture Shock, the Hispanic Heritage Committee is sponsoring a flamenco dance concert at 7 p.m. in the Weasler Auditorium.

Hispanic Heritage month is celebrated from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, and Culture Shock arranged its schedule around the events already planned by the Hispanic Heritage Committee, Shaffer said.

Other events scheduled for Culture Shock include performances by Darren Thompson, an American Indian flutist, and the Anjum belly dancers. Thompson will perform Wednesday at 2 p.m. on the second floor of the AMU and the belly dancers can be seen Thursday at 5 p.m. on West Town Mall.

Many of Marquette's multicultural organizations will be featured at a "mini O-Fest" Friday on West Town Mall from 1 to 4 p.m., Shaffer said.

There, students can explore the various multicultural organizations at Marquette and watch performances on stage, including ethnic dancers, Peters said.

There are a total of 39 multicultural organizations at Marquette, she said. They were all invited to participate in Culture Shock.

"With Culture Shock, we are trying to do our best to cover as many cultures as we can," Shaffer said. "We want students to come and explore where their ancestors came from."

Salman Gill, a sophomore in the College of Engineering and vice president of We Lead, said he wants to spread the message of diversity across campus.

"We're trying to present a different view of other cultures," he said. "I want students to see that although there may be physical differences, on the inner level, we're all the same."