‘Birdie’ flies high on Helfaer Theatre stage

One rose appears more beautiful than the rest in Marquette University's production of "Bye Bye Birdie;" junior Anne Yatco as Rosie Alvarez.

From the wistful "An English Teacher" to the flirty "Spanish Rose," Yatco's flawless singing and emotional performance are the highlights of an enjoyable production.

Yatco portrays the devoted secretary and love interest to Albert Peterson, played by junior Nathan Miller. Albert is a talent agent whose only major star, Conrad Birdie (senior Michael Pesch), has just been drafted.

Yatco and Miller play off one another well, creating a believable relationship.

Miller portrays a realistic transition from a wishy-washy, momma's-boy talent agent to a strong and loveable English teacher.

Senior Katy Kaczynski matches Miller's silly antics and dancing in "Put on a Happy Face," though the dancing does not always seem in sync.

However, the most hilarious moment in the show comes during the song "A Mother Doesn't Matter Anymore." Senior Jennifer Mikhail (Mae Peterson, Albert's mom) nails the role of the overprotective Jewish mother from New York, throwing herself out with the trash when her son declares he doesn't need her anymore.

Mikhail also underscores the comedy of the well-written script by Michael Stewart when she seductively asks Birdie if he has ever thought about being with a more "mature" woman.

Appearing in her first musical, senior Kristina Kelter (Kim MacAfee) leads a group of screaming, star-crazy teenagers from Sweet Apple, Ohio. She portrays the timeless teenager ready to grow up too fast with skill. She also makes seamless transitions from a teenager in love, to an independent woman and back to a child who needs her parents more than ever.

The song "One Boy," with backup from juniors Michelle Urbaniak (Ursula) and Bethany Baker (Nancy), is the highlight for Kelter. In other songs, such as "How Lovely to Be a Woman" and "A Lot of Livin' to Do," her voice falters at several points.

One actor in the show who never seems to falter is sophomore Travers Wendle (Harry MacAfee). Wendle's range of emotions, including his speech about the three words he never wanted to hear uttered in his house — puberty, Mussolini and respect — creates one of the most realistic characters in the show.

Pesch's depiction of rock 'n' roll star Birdie is a close impersonation of Elvis Presley. The turquoise jumpsuit covered with red and silver rhinestone patterns, the ruby red boots, the swiveling hips and Southern accent almost bring the King to life.

Unfortunately, it seems that Pesch tries too hard to sound like Elvis in his songs as well as his speech, and the effort does not come across as natural.

The large ensemble also struggles with singing and dancing together in numbers such as "The Telephone Hour," "A Lot of Livin' to Do" and "A Healthy, Normal American Boy."

Musical Director Paul W. Helm leads an excellent orchestra in performing the songs, by Charles Strouse and Lee Adams, but it often surpasses the singers in volume, especially when members of the ensemble without microphones sing. It is also difficult to hear Miller at times, which undermines what would otherwise be an almost flawless performance.

Director Phylis Ravel, scene designer Stephen Hudson-Mairet and costume designer Connie Juranek Petersen bring this classic musical to life with excellent direction, realistic sets, costumes and makeup.

The two-story MacAfee home, complete with kitchen, living room and upstairs bedroom, is the most elaborate set, contrasted with the two wooden crates used to set the Ice House. Mikhail's makeup creates extremely believable age lines on the face of a college student.

All the elements combine to do what the musical is meant to do — entertain the audience with a humorous show that allows people of all ages to laugh at the exaggerated idolatrous behaviors that are all too familiar.

"Bye Bye Birdie" runs through Sunday at Marquette's Helfaer Theatre. More informatoin on tickets, showtimes and special Parents' Weekend shows can be found at www.mu.edu/theatre.

Grade: AB