Italian ‘Napoli’ walks fine line between humor, pain

It's refreshing to see a play written by someone who truly knows his subject.

Eduardo de Filippo, the Italian-born playwright who wrote "Napoli Milionaria," lived in Naples during World War II, just like the characters he writes about. Because he shared experiences similar to those of his characters, the story he tells in "Napoli" is all the more real.

The play, which opened at the Milwaukee Repertory Theater last Friday and is directed by Lillian Groag, shows what happens to a community of friends when their home is ravaged by war. It's a stark picture of the reality many European families faced when Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini spread their troops across the continent.

Gennaro Jovine (Peter Silbert) is the patriarch of a family that has turned to selling food on the black market in order to keep out of the poor house. Although Gennaro doesn't approve of his family's defiance of the law — and hates sleeping on a mattress that is full of flour, sugar and aging cheese — his strong-willed wife Amalia (Angela Iannone) continues to make her sales.

Gennaro is even more appalled that Amalia has involved their children, Maria Rosaria (Colleen Madden) and Amedeo (Triney Sandoval), in her illegalities. He doesn't understand why his wife can't find a job that won't have the local police ready to lock them up and throw away the key.

Silbert's portrayal of Gennaro's dismay and irritation is wonderful to watch. His broad, sweeping gestures add to the comedy on stage, and his blustering protestations of his wife's activities are all the more laughable. However, what's especially remarkable about Silbert's performance is his ability to quickly move from funny to serious as the second act takes a darker turn than the first.

Much of the strength of "Napoli" comes from the actors in the supporting cast. Mark Corkins plays Peppe "the Jack," a car-stealing conman who convinces Amedeo to help him in his thievery. Corkins' portrayal of the neighborhood idiot whose ignorance of what's going on around him seems to keep him out of trouble is always entertaining to watch.

Laura Gordon also stands out among her peers. She plays Adelaide Schiano, a nosy neighbor who is all too willing to stick her nose in where it doesn't belong. Gordon's performance never falters, and she remains a joy to watch from start to finish.

The glue that holds "Napoli" together, though, is Iannone. In the first act, she is simply desperate to make sure her family has enough food to get through the day, and her desperation forces her to run the risk of being arrested.

However, as the play progresses, the audience sees Iannone's character change from someone who just wants to get by into someone who has been so overcome with greed that she is hardly recognizable. The humanity she displays is remarkable, and although the audience may resent her for what she does, it is certain that viewers will also be able to sympathize with her plight.

Michael Ganio's set is well-crafted, clearly illustrating the family's poverty in the first act and overwhelming wealth in the second. His placement of stairs and balconies makes great use out of what could have seemed like a small stage, instead making it able to show multiple locations at once.

Most Americans have never had to deal with a homeland that is destroyed by war, or the changes it can permanently inflict. "Napoli Milionaria" is a success in that it not only makes viewers laugh at its absurdity, but it also makes them grateful for the fact that they will likely never experience such a thing.

"Napoli Milionaria" runs through Feb. 15 at the Milwaukee Repertory Theater, 108 E. Wells St. Ticket prices range from $7.50-$47.50. Call 224-9490 for more information.