Sterolab sounds off despite loss

Memo to Stereolab: Mary Hansen is smiling down on you.

Had the British-French band pieced together somber, melancholic meanderings on its eighth full-length album, it would have been reasonably justified. After all, Margerine Eclipse is the first LP to be released since the tragic death of original band member Hansen (she was killed in a cycling accident in December 2002). But feeling sorry for itself is obviously not Stereolab's style.

Failing to let the loss in their lineup slow them down, the quintet spent time building its own studio, Instant 0, just north of Bordeaux, France and after the release of the five track extended-EP Instant 0 In The Universe in 2003, went to work on Eclipse.

Using synths, drum machines, a harpsichord and even a trombone, the band has created an upbeat, uplifting palette of the same avant-garde, atmospheric-pop that has sent fans into the spacey reaches of guitarist Tim Gane's mind for more than 10 years.

Beautifully layered and deftly constructed, Stereolab — Laetitia Sadier (vocals), Andy Ramsey (drums), Simon Johns (bass), Dominic Jeffery (keyboards) and Gane — bring leftist lyrics to the table through melodic, peaceful tracks that still make you want to get up and dance every now and then.

While four of the album's 12 tracks are sung in French, Sadier's Gallic vocals have such a calm and soothing influence that it doesn't matter what she is saying. However, her messages in English are clear.

Without being overly preachy, Stereolab speaks of a shared commonality between all of humanity on Eclipse.

"Margerine Melodie" easily portrays the overriding theme throughout the album: "Seems that until now we/have used our brain/Just to dominate, just to/dominate. We've to widen the/knowledge of/How our brain works to/understand/Or nothing will, will ever change."

Musically, "Margerine Melodie" feels likes a throwback to 70s disco — you can see the pulsing lights and spinning ball — creating a brilliant paradox with its serious message.

"Vonal Declosion" kicks off the album, combining electronic trance with a little funky flavor, while a driving guitar riff almost brings "Margerine Rock" to the borders of garage-rock. But it's "Cosmic Country Noir" that really sends you flying, taking listeners on a trip to the far corners of an electronic wonderland, with twists and turns along the way. The song, simply put, is beautiful, building up with keyboards, clangy guitar chords and an organ.

For Stereolab, there are no rules when it comes to song construction, as tracks change direction without warning, delving into new beats and sounds, not bothering to make an easy transition. Most of the time this works, and is actually quite refreshing. But "Dear Marge" plays out like four separate songs that have been randomly thrown together.

"Hillbilly Motobike" could also use some re-working, or maybe just be tossed out altogether. Overused keyboards and a basic drumbeat fail to create an original sound, making the album's overall running time of 53 and a half minutes just a little too long. But overall, Margerine Eclipse exudes warmness and sincerity, while still allowing for a little fun.

And Stereolab hasn't forgotten about Hansen. Not only is the album dedicated to her, but "Feel and Triple" is a heartfelt goodbye that avoids being sappy and focuses on honoring and remembering the vocalist/keyboardist. Hansen, indeed, is smiling down on the Lab and its latest accomplishment.

Grade: B