Assistant club football coach dies

Joseph Didier, a coach for Marquette's club football team, died in a snowmobile accident Friday near Port Washington.

According to Tom Didier, Joseph's brother, Joseph, 25, was snowmobiling with his girlfriend when he lost control of his speeding vehicle, skidded off the road, got caught on a branch and was thrown into a group of trees.

His girlfriend, approximately 100 yards behind him, was not injured in the accident.

Tom Didier worked with Joseph at the family-owned-and-operated reality business, Remax United, in Port Washington. Tom Didier said he would miss his brother.

"I'll remember him for the fact that he was genuinely the guy to have fun," Didier said. "He had an active social life. He had tons and tons of friends. He did everything 100 percent."

Joseph Didier was a former Marquette student and a first-year linebacker coach. Didier took a few classes at Marquette while attending the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee to play for Marquette's club football team. Didier's last football game as a player was last April.

Junior Tyler Brummond, a club football quarterback, recalled Didier as a good-natured person.

"Joe was always one of the most positive guys on the field," Brummond said. "He really embodied what Marquette club football is all about. He was just a really great friend and a great teammate and we're really going to miss him. He's definitely going to be remembered as a positive guy. He's a real loss as a friend and as a coach."

Didier played football in Port Washington High School. He made the team his freshman year at University of Wisconsin Whitewater, where he injured his ankle and was unable to play for some time.

"Football was pretty much the passion of his life," Tom Didier said.

Didier graduated from UW-Milwaukee in 1999 with a degree in history and an emphasis on Celtic studies. According to his brother, Didier traveled to Ireland for a semester and studied at the University of Ulster. He also studied at Concordia and University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Didier got his real estate license in Jan. 2003 and was working at Remax United, established in the 1960s, at the time of his accident.

Jeff Koch, a friend of about 12 years, said he would remember him as a great football player and friend.

"The world's definitely going to miss him because I think he was headed for something great." Koch said. "He was the greatest guy. He was always there to help you. He didn't realize how many people really loved him."

Visitation will be held at 3 p.m. Tuesday, at Eernisse Funeral Home, 1600 W. Grand Ave, Port Washington. Funeral services for Joseph Didier are scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at St. Peter's Catholic Church, 1800 N. Wisconsin St., Port Washington.