Rally kicks off MU Bush run

Against a backdrop of one of the most heavily contested states for November's election, Students for (President George W.) Bush launched their efforts for the incumbent with a "Rally for Victory Campaign Kickoff" Tuesday evening.

Fifty people were at the Alumni Memorial Union to gather and plan activities for the next several months.

When prompted to do so by Students for Bush leader Daniel Suhr, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, many introduced themselves and gave reasons for being a Republican and disliking Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry of Massachusetts and Senator Russ Feingold (D-Wis.).

Suhr and Mike Duffey, a regional campaign manager from the Bush-Cheney campaign, discussed plans for the months leading to the election, including "Party for the President," an event similar to the "Meetups" that helped to propel former Vermont governor and Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean to the front of the race for his party's nomination. Suhr also asked for volunteers to write Viewpoints to the Tribune on a semi-regular basis.

Asked later what else was planned by Students for Bush, Suhr said that not much at the moment, but as the election drew near "we've already got a battle plan of what we've got to do."

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker was the featured speaker at the event, appearing 50 minutes late due to his son's Boy Scout activities.

Walker told the crowd that in John Kerry, "we've got a taller version of Michael Dukakis (the 1988 Democratic nominee, who lost to George H. W. Bush) running." He also said that Kerry was more liberal than Ted Kennedy (D-Mass).

Walker reiterated a claim by the Bush administration that Kerry had supported a 50 cent per gallon gasoline tax (albeit very briefly, raising questions from critics about the accuracy of the Bush campaign's claim), and Walker also spoke of other tax raises Kerry had supported.

Referring to the tax raises Kerry had supported or proposed, Walker said that "if you want to have an opportunity to have a job, the last thing we want to see is a big wet blanket thrown on the economy."

Walker said he was happy with the turnout at the event.

"I don't see any pizza or beer, but there's a good crowd," Walker said. He also said that the pouring rain had not deterred many supporters from showing up.

Suhr agreed.

"The president has a message, and tonight is proof of those who are enthusiastic (for) and believe in President Bush."

Asked if he was worried about the continuing controversy over the war in Iraq and the commission investigating the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks affecting Bush's credibility and ability to be re-elected, Suhr said that in polls, "the President has a lead over Kerry in credibility issues."

Suhr said he believed that the election would come down to issues of national security, which helped Bush.