Men’s soccer program announces three signees

With the men's spring soccer season wrapping up, head coach Steve Adlard said he's looking forward to the arrival of three of Marquette's recruits in the fall.

Andy Kroll, Mike Carlson and Erik Ruiz will all be debuting with the Golden Eagles for the 2004 season.

"These are very good players and we think they'll add good qualities to the program," Adlard said. "They will add something in areas that we have recently graduated."

Kroll, out of Portage, Mich., earned all-state honorable mention as a senior at Central High School. The 6-foot-2 goalkeeper is a two-year member of Michigan's Olympic Development Program team and earned MVP honors in 2002.

The addition of Kroll means that sophomore Richie Ilk will no longer be the only goalkeeper on Marquette's roster.

"We graduated Ubie (senior goalkeeper Adam Ubert) so obviously we have to get somebody in there," Aldard said. "And we graduated players throughout the rest of the team and we think we have balanced that with our recruits."

Ruiz and Carlson will help shore up a Marquette defense that will be without senior starters Andy Wagner and Zach McCallum come fall.

A product of Marquette High School, Ruiz earned first-team honors from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's All-Area team in 2003. The 5-foot-9 defender also snagged first-team all conference honors.

Carlson, a four-year member of the Wisconsin ODP team and product of Nicolet High School from Glendale, earned all-area honorable mention from the Journal Sentinel for his play last season.