Years of touring evident on Particle’s debut

Granted it's still early in 2004, but Eric Gould, Charlie Hitchcock, Steve Molitz and Darren Pujalet – otherwise known as Particle – deserve an award for best album title of the year.

Within the first few seconds of their debut release, the aptly titled Launchpad, listeners are sent to the far reaches of outer space and don't return home until album closer "Sun Mar 11" is but just a distant memory.

It's taken the quartet four years to lay down their "space porn funk" (as described by one of their earliest fans) in the studio, but that's because they've been too busy with the nearly 500 shows they have played since they first came together in California in 2000. Three times they canceled recording sessions to take the stage.

But who can blame them? Last summer Particle began a show at 4 a.m. and continued to pay over the nexxt five hours. Over and over again they perform not one, not two, but four sets in one night, welcoming the sun as it peeks its head over the Eastern horizon.

So it was a little questionable as to how their highly danceable, overly energetic, extremely improvisational blend of funk, electronica and jazz would translate to tape. With the release of Launchpad, Particle has proven they are just as dynamic within the walls of a recording studio as they are in a club.

Produced by Tom Rothrock (Beck, Coldplay, Beta Band), Launchpad easily sounds like a live recording taken from one of the band's monumental shows.

Beginning with the title-track, the album kicks off with a woman whispering a shuttle countdown before Gould enters in on the bass and Molitz on the keyboards. The track quickly escalates to a body-pulsing beat that could belong in any dance club.

"The Elevator" and "The Banker" keep things moving throughout the album with nonstop rhythms that prove vocals aren't always necessary, both songs clocking in at more than six minutes.

These extended james can grow a little tiresome after awhile considering you're not at a live show (but feel free to dance in your own room), which makes Launchpad more suitable for a gathering of friends than for a quiet listen by yourself.

But two numbers – "Below Radar" and "Sun Mar 11" – are great for any place at any time and expose a more mellow side of Particle.

The Southern swampy sound created on "Below Radar" features a depth and variety that you traditionally don't hear from the band. It builds slowly, as Pujalet's drumming circles around a steady basic beat and Hitchcock showcases some soulful guitar soloing.

"Sun Mar 11" contains sound bytes that can only be described as trippy jazz. Once again Hitchcock really shines through, as he provides a plethora of guitar loops. Combine that with spacey keyboards and "Sun Mar 11" is a great outro for Launchpad.

Ultimately, Particle will never be as thrilling or exciting as they are during a live show, and Launchpad is really an album for those on the move, but it's still an intense ride that shouldn't be missed.

Grade: B