Inside the Tour

The PGA Tour received a jolt of exhilaration Sunday when a three-man playoff was required to end the drama. The Buick Open, which was held at Torrey Pines Golf Course in La Jolla, Calif., simply enlightened the golf faithful of how the game itself can be beyond description. John Daly played a dismal round firing a 75 and still winning in a striking manner. Daly, a fan favorite, had to go overtime to defeat Chris Riley and Luke Donald with a spectacular birdie.

Daly's approach shot to the green in the playoff from a bunker landed within close proximity of the cup setting up an easy birdie. Donald and Riley both had chances to birdie the playoff hole, but each failed under the pressure.

Daly is not your typical player and he is far from ordinary, just like an act from Cirque du Soleil. He has seen his share of bliss, but he has also visited the depths of despair. His off-course predicaments compare to those of Dennis Rodman. His competitors were glad to see him get to the top once more after a nine-year absence.

The demons tested Daly early in the round as he double bogeyed the third and saw his lead slip away just like Boston's bid for Alex Rodriguez. As Tiger Woods made a charge on Sunday, the rest of the field watched with uncertainty. Woods made a firm venture but then deteriorated near the end as his driver let him down once more. The lack of competitive play was evident on Tiger's part.

Phil Mickelson rebounded from a poor first round to make the cut and then made a last second effort before faltering on the 12th hole. The lefty managed to birdie eight of his first 11 holes. He finished in fourth place and has been in the top ten four times so far this year.

The young and forthcoming Donald played his way into contention with steady play in all four rounds. Hometown beloved Riley was handed down misfortune as his birdie effort in the playoff hole danced around the cup before deciding to bail out.

The south course at Torrey Pines proved to be a worthy opponent. The fairness was obvious but the punishment was also served.

As for Woods, he will be back in action on Thursday at the start of the Nissan Open as the PGA Tour continues its West Coast Swing. The performances each week on the Tour continue to unfold in theatrical style.