Latin celebration takes a trip North

Carnaval — derived from a Latin word that means "goodbye to the flesh" — first began in Italy hundreds of years ago in response to Lent, and arrived in the New World after the Europeans colonized the Americas and began the slave trade. In the mixing of the cultures, Carnaval became a fusion of European traditions and African music and dance.

Today, the holiday takes place over a period of four or five days prior to Ash Wednesday, in Latin America and the Caribbean.

But you don't have to live in Mexico or Chile to experience the bash. Latino Arts Inc., 1028 S. 9th St., is bringing its annual Carnaval celebration to the heart of Milwaukee with a performance and art exhibit commemorating the event. Through such mediums as music, dance, poetry and painting, Latino Arts is looking to help the Milwaukee community celebrate Carnaval in style.

"This is a strong cultural celebration and it's nice to share it with new friends in the community," said Latino Arts artistic director Zulay Oszkay. "For those of us who can't be in Brazil, you can get a taste of it here."

Samplings of the celebration will indeed be provided. The celebration begins this Friday at 7:00 p.m. with the Carnaval performance, which will feature a variety of performers.

Anita Gonzalez — an original member of the African-American dance group, Urban Bush Women — will be performing a dance piece put together especially for Carnaval that blends together African-American and Latin American influences.

Steel pan musician Jeff Narell, who has collaborated with the Grateful Dead among other artists, will be sharing his Afro-Caribbean percussion playing while 18-year-old Chinaka Hodge and 23-year-old Jason Mateo will share poetry and spoken word pieces.

And adding to the eclectic mix of entertainment will be the performance of Capoeira Angola — an African-Brazilian art form that incorporates dance and music to martial arts.

In conjunction with the performances is a Carnaval exhibit focusing on Latin American spiritualism that opens this Friday and runs until March 19. The exhibit features the work of nine local and regional artists, some of which hail originally from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Chile and Venezuela which, according to Oszkay, "shows the diversity in Latino culture here in Milwaukee."

"These are artists that depict some sort of spiritualism in their work or they use spirituality as a means to create their work," Oszkay said. "There's so much in Carnaval that has to do with spirit. The art enhances the Carnaval celebration."

Venezuelan-born artist Motzerrat Alsina who now lives in Chicago, is just one artist who uses images of Mother Earth, fire, the dawning of life and the afterlife to depict the celebration of Carnaval.

"The exhibit is a very nice way to come together and tie the spiritual element in," Oszkay said. "And between the cultures, even though they celebrate differently, there is similarities in the color and symbols."

Oszkay believes that the Carnaval celebration can be a "melting pot" for everyone to enjoy.

"It's a whole cultural experience and such a lively thing," Oszkay said. "Carnaval seems to be one of the things that puts a smile on people's faces."

The Carnaval exhibit will have an opening reception on Friday from 5:00-7:00 p.m. For tickets or reservations for the Carnaval performance call 384-3100.