Merritt recovers from surgery

The surgery was more of a precaution than the result of injury, Condon said. Condon went on to say that the surgery was necessary to avoid future injuries.

“The procedure was not a result of a re-occurrence from a previous injury,” head coach Tom Crean told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “The initial repair was arthroscopically checked and found to be intact.”

For the first six weeks following the surgery, Merritt’s shoulder was immobilized to allow it to heal. As of Aug. 12, he had begun rehab and is currently working on regaining his full range, Condon said.

“Recovery is a day-to-day thing, but so far he is progressing,” he said

The surgery was an arthroscopic capsule repair, Condon said. Most of it was done using an arthroscope, which has a fiber optic camera, as well as surgical tools at the end that are inserted into the joint for repair. This type of surgery leaves no major scars.

“The doctors were pleased when he had the surgery, and so far the rehab is going very well,” Condon said.

Merritt has still been working out in the weight room with the team, focusing on his right arm and legs, Condon said. His surgery should have no negative effects on the team, he added.

Merritt is expected to be fully recovered and ready to practice with the team in October when official practices begin, Condon said.

Merritt ended last season fourth on the team in scoring, averaging 10.1 points per game, and second in rebounding with 6.6 rebounds per game, ranking him 16th among Conference-USA players. He also ranked second on the team in blocked shots with 39 (1.18 blocks per game). Merritt reached double figures in scoring in 17 games last season.

He was the team’s top board man against Kansas in the NCAA national semifinals (11). He ended the season with five double doubles, including a 12-point, 11-rebound showing against Kansas in the NCAA Tournament.