Fall means football in NCAA

Impact Players

Offense

1. Phillip Rivers, Sr. QB, North Carolina State — If his last name was Manning he would be the hands-down preseason favorite for the Heisman trophy. But not coming from a royal family coupled with playing with the less-than marquee Wolfpack hurts his hype. He tops the Ole Miss slinger in virtually every passing category, which most would gather from the fact that he had a 141.1 quarterback rating last season compared to Manning's 125.6.

2. Roy Williams, Sr. WR, Texas — Ever since Williams came to Austin he has been trying to live up to expectations. For the most part he has not disappointed. But in 2001 he only totaled three 100-yard receiving efforts. In 2002 he had just one such game in the first seven, but really caught fire after that. He finished the year with five consecutive century mark games of 162, 172, 117, 149 and 142 yards. The rest of the Big XII had better hope that momentum does not carry into this year.

3. Darren Sproles, Jr. RB, Kansas State — This 5-foot-7 unknown burst on to the scene last season with 1,465 yards and 17 touchdowns for the Wildcats last season. Needless to say, he will not be flying under any radar screens this season. Along with senior quarterback Ell Roberson, who added 1,032 rushing yards of his own, Kansas State is looking to make some serious noise in the Big XII this season.

4. Mike Williams, So. WR, USC — This 6-foot-5, 230-pound manchild led the resurgent Trojan offense with 81 catches, 1,265 yards and 14 touchdowns in his first year of college ball. He has better size than former USC wideout Keyshawn Johnson, but most in the program say he is even faster. Not bad considering Johnson ended up being the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft.

Defense

1. David Pollack, Jr. DE, Georgia — Pollack is best known nationally for his legendary interception for a touchdown versus South Carolina that gave the Bulldogs a 13-7 win. But it was not just one great play that made Pollack the best defender in the country. He recorded 14 sacks and garnered Bronco Nagurski finalist, SEC Player of the Year and first-team All-American honors.

2. Tommie Harris, Jr. DT, Oklahoma — The Sooners come into the season ranked No. 1 in both the Associated Press and Coaches' polls. That is due in large part to one large man on their defensive line. Harris rings in at 6-foot-3, 289 pounds, but still has room to grow seeing as he is a junior. As one of nine returning starters on this defense which has a tremendously strong linebacking corps and secondary, great play from Harris will allow the rest of the defense to open up and wreak havoc on opponents.

3. Chris Gamble, Jr. CB, Ohio State — Gamble really came on strong last season and his stock rose even higher once the Buckeyes won the national title. He is part of a new crop of guys who are playing cornerback and wide receiver. The thing is, he is an All-American caliber cornerback who just happens to play some receiver. Unfortunately, it looks like the academic fraud investigation involving teammate Maurice Clarett could soon include Gamble too. Stay tuned.

4. Kenechi Udeze, Sr. DE , USC — With a name like that, how could we leave him off the list? At 6-foot-4, 285, he is a bigime defensive end. Add in the fact that he moves like a jungle cat and you've got one heck of a player on your hands. He does not have the playmaking ability of Pollack, nor is he the dominating force of Harris. But on potential alone, don't be surprised if he makes a push for the Nagurski award.

Last one standing

USC – The sixth-ranked Trojans will not have the luxury of working out the bugs in their game plan as they open the season with a high-profile matchup with SEC powerhouse and eighth-ranked Auburn this Saturday. The biggest question mark on offense is who will replace Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer at quaterback. Matt Leinart beat out Matt Cassel and Brandon Hance for the job, but if Leinart faulters he will be on a short leash. Whoever the quarterback is, he will be throwing to the aforementioned Williams and Keary Cobert, who hauled in 71 catches for 1,029 yards last season. Blocking for them will be four returning offensive linemen. Also vying for the title: Miami, Auburn, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Texas.