Minor added to curriculum

In addition to the many new things on campus this semester, the Department of Social and Cultural Sciences has added a new social welfare and justice minor to its curriculum.

This new minor follows the recent establishment of a social welfare and justice major.

The first degree for this major was issued to a graduate of the class of 2003 said James Holstein, chair of Social and Cultural Sciences.

“I think the new minor is a great addition because these issues are very important today,” said freshman Angela Schnell.

According to Janice Staral, assistant professor for Social and Cultural Sciences, the intent of the new minor is to expose students to the social welfare and justice courses.

“The hope is that they would link their major with the content in their social welfare and justice classes,” Staral said.

Students could use their studies in this minor as preparation for law school, graduate school or several different careers, Staral said.

Requirements for the minor are 18 credit hours of social welfare and justice courses, including Social Welfare and Justice 080, 182, 184 and nine hours of elective courses within the social welfare and justice major, Staral said.

The first class, Social Welfare and Justice 080, explores issues of justice, social welfare and values and then asks students to apply those concepts to various vulnerable populations like the elderly, those in the criminal justice system and children, Staral said.

The Social Welfare Policy and Programs class — Social Welfare and Justice 182 — “gives a complete description of various social welfare programs and the ability to analyze (them),” Staral said.

In Social Welfare and Justice 184, students practice skills necessary for working with individuals, families and groups.

They develop “solid communication skills, interviewing and interpersonal skills,” as well as “personal observation skills,” which are necessary to interpret non-verbal communication, Staral said.

According to Staral, these courses “give students a broad-based perspective regarding what social welfare is and an understanding of justice” and allow students to explore the issues of social welfare, develop a new perspective on those issues and learn how to apply what they have learned to individuals in need.

“There’s a real cross section of people” interested in the new minor,” Staral said.

Several new students who have already chosen a major have expressed interest in the social justice and welfare minor, Staral said.

“It’s great that this minor gives students the opportunity to learn more about social justice,” freshman Valerie Van Brocklin said.